Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Downrigger question

I have noticed that if I run a fish shaped ball it does drag a bit more then my 8's with flashers.

The clutch on your rigger should still hold though???

Maybe run a 6 lb ball when you run your flashers. That's all I got other then taking your riggers apart to see if you can make an adjustment to it.

-Cody Dodds

Cody
To add to Kool-Aid's (Cody's) reply. With a smaller weight e.g. both the 4# & 6# weight. The blow back (distance from verticle behind the boat) your ball would be at would be impracticle to measure actual depth, unless you are a geometry major with a good eye for angles, fishing as deep as we are now. In the spring, you can get away with a 6# ball. If you can't tighten the drag on your rigger, you may need a larger rigger. If asked, you can often find inexpensive used riggers from people on this board. If you are using both horizontal and verticle blades, try taking off one or the other. Good luck on the water.
Richard

In my experience the vertical blades have way more drag and could definitly make up the 2 lbs.
I agree with Richard, you may need bigger riggers to get you down to the depth you need to be this time of year.

good luck!