Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 12 pound Atlantic Salmon

Polebreaker are you going to be out there this coming week, (6-11), or the following week?
Cal

This is Dan from Good Stuff. I have never been out there fishing but I am thinking of a trip this fall. Is the tackle that we use for Salmon and Lakers on Winni heavy enough to fish out there?

Dan,
If you're targeting kings I would say no. Most guys use 30 lb test on their rigger lines, wire line with dipsies, and copper set-ups when going after kings. This equipment will also require a lot more stout rods. That being said, I always put out some of my winni gear to target browns. I did catch the 12 lb Atlantic on my winni gear with 8 lb test. I would probably go up to 10-12 lb test leaders on your winni gear just to be safe (use a 20-30 ft leader of Seaguar fluorocarbon). Don't be afraid to run a leadcore set up, just use a 30-50 feet leader of 10-12 lb floro leader. Also, our winni spoons tend to be a bit small out there. I would get some Michigan Stingers or NK's in the 3-4" size and you should be all set. The Dirty White Boy color was slaying the browns in August for me. Lastly, if you do go and it's too rough to get out on Lake O, don't hesitate to head to the Finger Lakes. They're about an hour from the Oswego area and are AWESOME fisheries as well. You can also use your winni gear here, just go up to 10-12 lb leaders as mentioned above. I've done real well at Owasco and Cayuga Lake. Seneca and Canandauiga Lake are also great, but I've never tried them. Best of luck if you go!

Chris

White Cap
Polebreaker are you going to be out there this coming week, (6-11), or the following week?
Cal

We are heading out on the 11th and fishing for 3 days 12-15th.We are going to play the weather if we can,we want to do the earlier part of the week but if the wind is nasty we can move our dates to later in the week.My brother is out there right now and can't get on the water 30+ mph wind.polebreaker

We're (Gray Ghost, Salty, Salmon Hunter,Easy Ed,me and 3 others) are heading out tomorrow (Monday) and coming back Saturday.
Looks like 3'-5' waves for Monday. Hope it settles down for the rest of the week.
Launching out of Little Salmon River (Mike's Marina) and will be fishing mostly in front of Salmon River.
Give us a shout when the seas calm down.
Good luck,
Cal

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but---

Outer Coastal Forecasts
More Outer Coastal Forecasts

Lake Ontario/Sodus Bay to Mexico Bay NY beyond 5 nm off shoreline to US-Canadian border - 09:52 AM EDT Sun Sep 05 2010
.THIS AFTERNOON...WEST WINDS TO 30 KNOTS. OCCASIONAL SHOWERS.
WAVES 7 TO 10 FEET SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 8 FEET.
.TONIGHT...WEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST. A CHANCE
OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING. WAVES 4 TO 6 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4
FEET.
.MONDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET
SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET.
.MONDAY NIGHT...SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5
FEET.
.TUESDAY...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST 20 TO 25
KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET BUILDING TO 5 TO 7
FEET.
.WEDNESDAY...WEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO
20 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 4 TO 6 FEET SUBSIDING TO 3
TO 5 FEET.
.THURSDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING NORTH. A
CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET.

I would say if you could pick another week, you should.
Cal

Cal & company
I would not get too down yet. I haven't seen too many accurate wind predictions for 3-4 days ahead from any meterologist. Good luck with the weather and the fish!
Richard

Polebreaker,
Have your brother head to the Finger Lakes to salvage his trip. If the winds are from the north fish the north end,winds from the south fish the south end. They're long,narrow lakes and the waves build as they head down the lake. Owasco Lake is 11,000 acres, Cayuga 42,000 acres, and Seneca 44,000 acres. Seneca is the widest and roughest.Lakers over 10 lbs, Browns and Bows up to 10 lbs, and some Atlantics up to 8 lbs. I don't think he'll be disappointed. At least he'll get the shot to wet some lines. All are 75 mts. or less drive from Oswego area.

Chris