Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fishfinder GPS

I'm looking to buy a new fishfinder/GPS for my 16' boat. I would like to use the Navionics chip that I already have. I would also like to keep the cost under $500 if possible. Any suggestions?

Re: Fishfinder GPS

E Bay

Thanks John but I was looking for a suggestion on a brand and model number. I was hoping to find out what some of you guys here are using and maybe any specific likes or dislikes you have with what you are using.

Lowrance LMS 520 series, get a single frequency ducer if possible (cheaper to replace and we dont need dual for our lakes) GPS module can be external or internal, mine are external. I run two LMS 520's on my boat, piggy back, one I run on GPS only the other I run on Sonar only, haven't have an issue with either one. Can't say that about earlier LMS series, bit even those I think issues were more ducer than the units themselves.

If you want to stay under 500, you should be bae tp find plenty of used LMS 520 series for sale by people that stepped up to the HD units. The HD's might even be on sale at Cabelas right now for not much more than 500.00, pretty sure I heard they were in the bargain cave at Cabelas.

Big John

There is a Lowrance HDS 5 at AJ's bait and tackle for a very good price right now. I run both a LMS 522 and a HDS 8 on my boat and the HDS is a big step up from the LMS units.

Glen

Hi, as some of you know, this is also #1 on my christmas list to Santa. For a Lund, would you recommend a shoot thru hull transducer or a transom transducer? I assume shoot thru hull is the way to go but wanted to double check with you guys with experience. Thank you!

I would rethink the shoot thru on aluminum hull Lund

http://www.lei-extras.com/tips/sonartut/transducers.asp

Very helpful, thank you sir. Transom looks like the right answer.

Gray Ghost
You are STILL "the MAN"!
Richard

I bought a new HDS-5 for my 16 ft lund this year and have not regretted a penny spent on it. I am dialing in to specific structure and when I get a strike, I can look down and estimate why the fish may have been around a certain bottom contour and circle back and hit it again with success.

I bought the older Navionics Chip (I think the previous version was 2008 but may have been 2009) to save some $$ as the HDS was over $600 and the chip was (I think) $150 for the latest but I got the older one for $100. Nice thing about Navionics is you can send in the chip and $50 and upgrade to the latest chip which I plan on for next spring.

While I would have loved to have gotten the HDS-7 or 8, the price was a few hundred more and thus out of my range and I only have a small side console so these bigger units would have essentially had to replace the windshield.

At this point, there may be some HDS units either used or on surplus sales for around $500 so I wouldn't discount them as too expensive until you have checked all options such as eBay or Craigs list.