Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What tin boat?

I've started looking (no hurry) at aluminum boats in the 16-18' range. A walk-through windshield and all canvas are required. I'm not getting any younger. ;-) Preferably a used one to keep the price point reasonable.

It will be the first one for me so all thoughts on different makes & models is appreciated. What should I look for? What should I look out for? What do I absolutely need to have .vs. what is very nice to
have.

Again any and all information is welcome.

P.S. I fish MA a lot and a 25 HP is the max on one body of water. Should I just go with that as a max hp or go bigger and get a kicker?

Re: What tin boat?

Sully, I could be wrong but I think you may have trouble finding a 16-18 footer that has a 25 hp motor AND has a walk thru windshield. Walk thrus are not common on 16 foot aluminums and 25 hp motors are not common on 18 footers. Since the Q is clearly on your list, you will have to first probably focus on putting the 25 HP on which will probably leave you with a side console and no enclosure. You will probably then be unhappy with the 25 HP when you try to move around on Winni unless you stay in a pretty small area and don't make runs up and down the lake often.

I drive a 16 ft Lund classic with a side console and 40 hp motor. I wish I had more motor but the motor is the max the hull is rated for. I would also kill for the additional 2 ft at this point as well as the additional beam it would give me.

I love the Lund product and will probably always be a Lund guy at this point. If you are on a budget, you can probably go cheaper with a Tracker ProV Guide....again...the motor causes a dilemma with the walk thru.

If you can afford it you might be able to get by with an 18 footer and a decent main motor then toss a kicker motor on. I believe on the Q this is acceptable as long as you take your prop off the big motor.

LUND makes the best Tin boats. Melvin Village Marina sells them...603-544-3584

I love my Starcraft C-star170 171/2 foot,I know it's more than your look for motor wise 115 optimax but it will troll at 1.5 mph gps all day and if it gets nasty it'll get me home safe and sound. This is just my .02 got a great but at Melvin village a couple years ago. Oh ya they have Lunds also I love those too!!!
Good luck with your search some really good deal out there.
BARRY

Stay away from Tracker and Fisher Marine....Same Company. I have had the worst luck with them. I had 2 boats replaced under warrantee for cracked hulls!!!

The last model I had was 1 sweet ride. Fisher - Hawk 200 with a Merc 115. Merc 6 hp 4 stroke kicker and 4 cannon mag 15's. Raymarine C80 with GPS. Some days I wish I had it back!!!

Friend has a lund 18 foot full canvas, 2 riggers, 2 fishfinders, 70 hp merc. with trolling plate, etc. real nice fishing boat, wants $3500. any interest cal me 802-738-2206

Ssully
Starcraft used to make a very deep and wide 16' walk through that was fairly reasonable with a 25hp. Fished Lake O out of one several times with a friend. Very seaworthy boats if you can find one in good shape. Havng said that, the boat that Don mentions is a hell of a deal!!
Throbbin Rods

$3500 won't last long that's a nice buy!!!
BARRY

I have a 17' LUND Tyee and I have a 50 HP Honda on it. It is a wide and deep V hull with walk through windshield. I would not want any less of a motor on that boat. My top speed is about 25-27 MPH WOT. It does not plain much under full throttle. A 25 HP would definitely not cut it. If you went with a smaller boat like 14 - 15 footer that was not as wide you might be ok with a 25 HP.

George at MnM Salvage in Meredith has a beauty for sale on craigs.He's still in the Carolina's.Lunds are heavy,consequently you need more motor and a strong towing vehicle.Stronger checkbook too.A 25 horse will push a Starcraft 16 just fine.I have a '74 18' Holiday with a bimini,rebuilt floor,being pushed by a 30hp merc two stroke.We sit in plastic deck chairs.Its like a dance floor behind the seats,nice and warm behind the windshied and still warm when the wind is coming from the back.I've been in the 3ft waves fishing on my kneecaps and driven home in just as bad weather going fast with my 30.Get an Uncle Henrys,Maine is loaded with Starcrafts then sell whatever motor is on it,Wally in Moultonborough will help and buy a new,light weight two stroke from Mr Greene in Hooksett while you can still can get them.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Don I left you a voice message.