Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In Line Planer Boards

Mike.. you forgot John's Rod Pumpers too. Seeing it all in action at once is a sight to behold. Like you said, you can't argue with the mans success.

One thing you could try, Mike, is leave your 2 and 3 color setups on for the whole year. Just add a snap weight or dive bomb to the backing. You'd still get the added depth and undulation effect of the leadcore, without respooling mid-season. Just a thought. 1 oz of weight is approximately the equivalent of 1 color of lead. The dive bombs are similar, but not exact.

Tom, Mike thanks for the wealth of information. I had done a search but when I went back and made "inline" one word all the threads you mentioned popped up. Spent a couple hours reading it through a couple times.

First off, right now I just setting up my 16 ft aluminum so my plan is two lines on planers, max, one on each side. Like the idea of the G2's but not the price. Think I'm settling in on the Offshores with a firm set on the release and removal at boat side. I may explore a jury rigged mast with a POS heavy action cod rod I have, but I'm not sure I like that too much. Have to get the boat in the garage to mock it up.

So I have questions, please. Can the Offshores be set up on a mast as well? Should I use the cod rod, I am wondering if I can use them in both scenarios. I've never tied the leadcore to the mono, usually something I let Alan do for me, what's the right knot to use? Everyone sings the success of lead core on the planers, is it also something you can flat line with mono? Seems to be one advantage at ice out would be to run up in the shallows without spooking fish. Lastly, I have three leadcore set-ups and am getting used to the set-up Mike uses. How much sense would it make to have two colors, 5 ft of mono, 1 color, 5 feet of mono, etc. I would like the flexibility of varying depth but not sure if that's practical. One thing is obvious, I need to learn that **** knot.

Thanks for your time.

The Albright knot is the one to use strong knot easy to tie you can goggle it for a step by step vidieo.

BARRY

I started with the nail knot to connect mono to leadcore. It's a little challenging to tie and I can't do it with out a small hollow tube (they have "tools" for this) so I switched to a double uni-knot (google it). I can whip off one of these in less than a minute.

I don't like the idea of mono-lead-mono-lead so you have more flexibility. No matter how well you tie the knot, you get a little resistance going through the top guide of your rod...a big fish on makes this resistance bigger and you have to bend to the fish to release the resistance and get through. In fact, I finally broke off the porcelian "inner guide" piece of my top guide late last year. I wouldn't want to have to bring several knots in each time I caught a fish. Other knots may have a smaller profile. They also have a "shrink wrap" type solution for connecting lines that you heat with a hair dryer and it shrinks around your two lines and connects them and makes this transistion very smooth (I'm old school though and consider this cheating...lol).

As to using inlines later as regular planers, they are too light and won't hold the multiple lines you would want to put out. You will want something more substantial that will hold it's position.

If/when I switch from inline to regular planer/mast system, I will probably start with otter boats with an eye to upgrade to G2s as money becomes available. though it was going to be this year but NOT. Think I may put a VHF on the boat instead...

There are some people that have taken an in-line board like the Church Tx-44 super board and converted it into a make-shift mast and ski setup. I'm not sure that is the way to go in your case. I'd recommend just saving up and either purchasing a new/used mast/ski system or G2 down the line.

I use the willis knot. It takes a bit to get use to it at first. One tip is to cut the mono at an angle. The knot works like Chinese fingercuffs and I've never had it fail. The knot profile is relatively small and goes through my reel and rod guides without issues.Just make sure the mono is touching the lead in the sheath and then drag the overhand knot down so you are in essence cinching it on the backing. Here's a link that explains it better than I do.

http://www.upangler.com/leadcore.html

You definitely can flatline mono with an in-line planer board. Should work great at ice out. Just keep in mind you're not achieving any depth with this setup.

As with a lot of this stuff, there are more than one way to skin a cat. Up to you if you want to go with the lead, mono, lead, mono setup. I don't, but a lot of successful fishermen do. Good Luck!

I never used inlines. Never appealed to me and I went out of my way to create my own setup. I have a big jon setup now but this setup worked just as good and my brother still uses my old setup with equal success.

Parts lits: 1x6x8 pc of cedar ($10), orange paint ($2), aluminum post $ needed hardware ($30), clothes pins and rings $5. Reels are just old oversized spools from fishing line.

The only experience I have is with the Big John Otter Boats and they are super, can run multiple lines off each side. Last year I switched to G2's.

The G2 Planers will catch more fish than Otter Boats hands down, bit more expensive than Otter Boats, 170.00/each retail vs 100.00. So if your not on a budget, go with G2's.

Big John