Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
planer board distance

So here's the question, whats the most effective distance from the boat to run the boards? 20',30',50'when is it overkill? I run about 30' most of the time, early spring maybe more like 40-45.
Any thoughts.
BARRY

Re: planer board distance

I like to think that any distance where you can comfortably get good spacing if you are running multiple lines on the boards is adequate. The whole point is to get a spread out away from your boat, and if you are accomplsihing that and you arent tangling and impeding other boats from coming by is good enough. I dont put an actual distance out on mine but im guessing its probably close to 75-100 feet on either side.

50 feet out is all I run, that gives me enough spread, my boat has an 8'6" beam.

Charlie

Charlie's Catch
50 feet out is all I run, that gives me enough spread, my boat has an 8'6" beam.

Charlie

50 feet works for me, later you can run em closer, but why bother ?? Mine are set to stop at about 50 feet. The Riviera planer mast allows you to set a stop distance, it will stay at that setting until you change it. Handsv down the best planer mastout there.

Forry turned me onto them a few years ago, al lI have to do is find mine, seems to have misplaced it, ugh. Not in my garage at home, not in the boat house, but I think it might be at my camp.

I use the planers all year, 1 G2 Planer on each side, killer fishin tool, only need run one line off each side.. Other lines if used are off rod pumpers and straight off the side. Riggers are pretty much useless the first week or two on my boat, all lead core and SLOW til the water warms up a tad.

May try smelt again, bait of choice for most after iceout, but I pretty much stick with streamers, I'm not a good bait fisherman.

Good luck to all.

Big John