Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Friday report

Mike, sounds like everyone should follow you around during the Derby, looks like you got it dialed in pretty good. What kind of a boat ya got, put a white flag up with the words "follow me". Only kiddin ya, sounds like you had a great day.

I like 7 to 7.5 footers when alone, 8 and 9 is fine if ya got a net man, depends on the boat I guess, I have short arms and legs but a wide girth, makes a long rod tough.. Whatever length I like a real noodle rod, light action.

This year I'm trying a few Ugly Sticks, the lightest they had still seems a little stiffer than I like, but have a lighter action the last 2 feet might be just right, haven't used em yet. I think they are 7' maybe 7.5' I forget ????? May use all Ugly Sticks for Florida if I like them, can't miss them as all my other rods are the Yellow Eagle Claw Starfires, love em.

Big John

Re: Friday report

I had been using a couple of light striper rods I bought (for stripers) about 6 years ago. They had enough backbone to pull the inline planers but were a little stiff for my liking. I had to compromise between enough backbone to pull the boards and enough sensitivity to enjoy the fish. The first rods went too far to the backbone side.

Well both those rods didn't make it through the winter (another story) so I converted a couple of rods I was using on downriggers. One was a 7.5 or 8 footer which was a LITTLE stiff for DRs but I had used it fine for years so I gave it a shot. The second was an Ugly stick that was 6.5 foot and seems a better fit for both strength and sensitivity and I think this is the best I've had so far. I was using this rod also for DRs and it was a good DR rod...now it's a great leadcore rod.

I imagine one of my crew will eventually break that first rod as it is too long to reach without bending unless you are careful and many will bend that last 6 inches until "snap". When it happens, I will move my other Ugly stick to a leadcore role and by and Eagle claw for my DRs.

I have a fly rod also but I didn't put it out yesterday. I also have two reels "waiting" for rods but I'm hoping to win a rod at the derby so I'm holding off (too confident? I didn't say anything about winning the boat!)

I do feel dialed in though. Everything is running well...I wish I had time for another trip or two before the derby but Boy Scout camping trip and youth turkey season have the next week ends conumed...of course if my boy scores his bird on day 1...then we can celebrate with turkey sandwiches on the water on Sunday!!!