Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winni Report

Fished Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I have nothing good to say. The numbers were good but boy were the fish craptastic. Every fish hooked and landed was a 2 year old that looked like a very young 2 year old. We did not measure any but just from looking at them they maybe made 15 1/2 inches. They were not fat but they weren't too skinny either. We did manage to land a fantastic laker though. It was in the 22 inch range and fiesty. All fish were released. Db's and tandem flies I tied myself were the ticket. Last night I also saw a HUGE school of smelt cruising by my dock in the evening so that may be a good sign.
Also I just got my g2jiggers back. I had sent them in to be converted to quick jig and get the new releases. I must say that the customer service and turnaround time was fantastic. The quick jig definitely works, it was the only rod that caught fish with flies the other fly rigs did not. I also like that new drag/release set-up. I used just mono and it would fall back without any problems just as good as the way I ran it last year with a color or two of lead. I think those guys have one hell of a product there and I will be buying the boards this year as well. Well here's to hoping that there are bigger and older fish in winni than all those dang 2 year olds we found.
Tight lines,
Link

Re: Winni Report

Link
Fished Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I have nothing good to say. The numbers were good but boy were the fish craptastic. Every fish hooked and landed was a 2 year old that looked like a very young 2 year old. We did not measure any but just from looking at them they maybe made 15 1/2 inches. They were not fat but they weren't too skinny either. We did manage to land a fantastic laker though. It was in the 22 inch range and fiesty. All fish were released. Db's and tandem flies I tied myself were the ticket. Last night I also saw a HUGE school of smelt cruising by my dock in the evening so that may be a good sign.
Also I just got my g2jiggers back. I had sent them in to be converted to quick jig and get the new releases. I must say that the customer service and turnaround time was fantastic. The quick jig definitely works, it was the only rod that caught fish with flies the other fly rigs did not. I also like that new drag/release set-up. I used just mono and it would fall back without any problems just as good as the way I ran it last year with a color or two of lead. I think those guys have one hell of a product there and I will be buying the boards this year as well. Well here's to hoping that there are bigger and older fish in winni than all those dang 2 year olds we found.
Tight lines,
Link

The Planers work even better, trust me.

Big John

We were into the 2 year olds on Friday also...couldn't shake them even with moves to other areas several hundred yards away. I guess the good news is there are LOTS of these fish in there so with careful release we should be looking good in 2-3 years with these fish.

Two weeks ago, we were into all 4 year fish it seemed. I guess these fish all stay together with their age classes.

I also went last Friday and I'm happy to report different results. I only caught 3 salmon but they were all good size. One at 5 lbs., one at 4 lbs., and one at 3.5 lbs. I was by myself so sorry but I don't have any pictures. Caught all 3 on live shiners on top (big guy) and 1.5 colors of lead for the other two. I haven't caught a salmon out of Winni this big in 5 years or so. It was a gorgeous fish and absolutely perfect in every way. All three were actually in real good shape. I don't eat fish so they're back in the lake to grow bigger. I too was beginning to think that Winni wouldn't give up anymore big boys and I'm ecstatic to say that maybe I was wrong! I hope this wasn't just a fluke.

Chris

thanks for releasing these beauties ! your a true sportsman !

Nice fish Chris!