Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lead core and main line.

was alternating three rods this weekend and last, one with 6 feet, one with 40 feet, 0ne with a hundred or so feet. most fish were caught on the 40 foot rod. i run 10 to 12 pound cortland camo, its real stretchy and shock absorbing, then about 8 foot seagar tippet, some would say im cheap with not all flouro, but ive always had luck with the cortland heavey main line, the rods i use most are stiffer than the yellow rods so the extra stetch seems to help in the line. the really long line was getting tangled with other rods so im not going to use it anymore and the short line did catch but not nearly enough, was using sewn smelt on all three so the 40 foot leader must let it spiral up and down better

John; I used to follow your lead and use 100 ft. of mono, but what I,ve re-done for this season is 50 ft. of mono to a rods lenght of florocarbon. Can,t tell yet if it helps or not. For a trailer check Tilton Trailer Outlet. Cal P.

I set it up so I have 175 feet of line out when fishing 3 colors or under. So 1 color has 145 feet of mono, 2 colors has 115 feet of mono and 3 colors has 85 feet of mono. Those set-ups are on seperate reels ready to go, and yes half the fun of fishing is buying stuff. My other set-ups are full core and I use 50 feet of mono on those wether fishing 4 colors or 10. No reason as to why I do this other than I like everything to be the same.
Link

John,
The best way to maintain your trailer for a long trip is to install bearing buddies on each axle, before you go add 3 or 4 pumps from a grease gun to each one. Not to many as you will blow the seal out the back of the drum. Same on the trip home, don't want a failure and be stuck on the side of the hiway in all the traffic these days. Maintanence to a trailer other than that is simple do the lights work, is there enough fluid in the master break cylinder,Check tire air pressure, than you are good to go, Make sure you have a spare tire and the proper jack just in case you need it.Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, my last trailer had bearing buddies. I had a flat on a camping trailer years ago the first day of our annual vacation, no spare, etc. Another time had issues with the jack and ended up with a bad cut on my hand.

So I know that trailers need be maintained even with minimum use, this one will get allot more use for sure.

Thanks for the tips.

Big John

Hi John, I started using leadcore after attending one of Travis and Adriens salmon seminars at Fish and Game HQ. I took copious notes at the seminar as I had no idea where to begin. For mainline length, they said 30 ft gives enough distance from the leadcore but also is close enough so the oscillation of the leadcore puts action on the lure. I then use 8-10 feet of 6# Seagar leader material and have never changed the setup to try other combos. Clearly 100 ft works as your past experience shows but I imagine you lose some of the action from the leadcore. HOWEVER, you usually attach your leadcore to G2s so you have jigging action which probably makes up for and surpasses any benefit from lead core alone. Given that, the best part of the fight is when you get the leadcore back on the reel and are fighting them on mono/floro so that extra 70 ft is 70 feet of more fun. So I would say, if you are on the G2s with leadcore, stick with 100 feet and enjoy yourself. If you are off regular boards, go to 30 ft.

....of course I could be completely wrong...lol

Might also look at some of the roadside assistance coverages out there for people trailering boats. That many miles, anything can go wrong, might be worth it.

Fishegg
Might also look at some of the roadside assistance coverages out there for people trailering boats. That many miles, anything can go wrong, might be worth it.

I do have AAA I'll have to see if they incude that type of service, great suggestion thanks.

Big John

John,

You know how much I travel with the grady. I always always repack bearings every year and than agian before the ontario trip in the fall. Bearing buddies are fine but if your still looking around get the axles that have the spindle grease fittings, what that does is gets grease to the rear bearing as well as the front. This set up is the balls. bearing buddies only grease the front bearings. Spend the money and get a trailer that is rated more than what you plan on hauling. Sounds like some serious miles you will be going with this trailer. Some marine companys will slide a piece of junk under a boat to keep costs down and get the boat out the door. Some gradys I looked at were set up that way plus they were trashed so junk on junk was the set up. I was lucky to find mine it was excelent shape and the trailer was over rated for the boat..Good luck!

Charlie.....C.C.

Very true, my Loadrite has those Superlube hubs, the fill hole where the grease exits is way back on the inside bearing. It pushes the used up grease out of the bearing assembly. An awesome design, I usually keep spinning the wheel until the grease comes out new.

John,

Last year I had more luck with leadcore and a 30-50' leader. Don't know if it was just s-luck though.

FWIW, A few years back a friend had Boat US insurance for his saltwater boat. The x-beam frame cracked and failed during a tow. Boat US came an picked up his boat. Not sure how the coverage worked but I think they paid for his replacement trailer. I can check with him to confirm this.

sully
John,

Last year I had more luck with leadcore and a 30-50' leader. Don't know if it was just s-luck though.

FWIW, A few years back a friend had Boat US insurance for his saltwater boat. The x-beam frame cracked and failed during a tow. Boat US came an picked up his boat. Not sure how the coverage worked but I think they paid for his replacement trailer. I can check with him to confirm this.

Be nice to know, thanks. Heading to the lake this morning and will stop in Tilton Trailer Center to see what they have.

Big John