(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: need rigger help!!

MikeF-NH
I agree with Dave...getting started on downriggers is tough on a tight budget. Not even counting the downriggers themselves - balls, releases and terminators will cost you as much as a complete leadcore setup from AJs and leadcore is almost always more effective.

The reason why nobody has any of these to offer is these items are often sacrificial to the lake bottom (and expensive) so even if guys upgrade riggers, they hold onto their balls (easy now), terminators and releases because sooner or later they will need them. If they didn't come with the DRs, you probably have to pony up for them. AND if you only by 2 of each, you may find that your lose one pretty quickly as you are learning.

Personally, if I were starting out on a limited budget, I would start with 2 leadcore setups, add inline planers as I can afford them then add 2 more leadcores later to run straight back...upgrade to planer mast as money allows. Then I would add DRs as the years go by. Accumulating gear slowly over years is easier than dumping all that money in on the front end. Like you, I was donated a couple of DRs to get me started. It took me a few years to get all I really wanted. Keep in mind that nothing is deep this time of year...you won't NEED DRs until summer...even then you can use leadcore and clip on weights. Of course I could be entirely wrong...lol

Come on now, you never get all you want or need, it never ends, ha-ha.

I heard a rumor the G3's are coming and most of you haven't got any G2's yet.

Somebody said people "hold onto their balls", how true, I have Digitrol IV's (should never loose a ball with these) 6 G2 balls and I still have a 1/2 dozen old balls on my boat, "just in case".

Actually, the best advice you got so far was, put the riggers on the back burner for now, run as many lead core set ups as you can for now, until the fish go a little deeper riggers are not that effective.

Big John

I concur. I dont even take my riggers out from under my seats during the derby. I run 3 leadcore setups and 1 or sometimes 2 fly rods with sinking line. The leadcore rod and reel setup ready to go are on sale at Wildlife Taxidermy in Manchester for anout $65.00 or so.....

well thanks for all the replies and(jokes) but i have 2 leadcore setups and i'm not just starting out been fishing the lake a while and i also know how to run a downrigger.. On my old boat i sold the riggers i had so i'm no beginner.. i ran the same 2 weights and releases for 4 years before i sold them and never lost them to the lake.. anyway.. my reason for running the riggers is because if i run 4 leadcore setups i will be untangling line all weekend and not fishing.. i tried running 4 lead core setups and had a lot of problems with them running into each other.... my boat is not that big so running all four they end up tangiling.. i figured to leads out the back 3 colors and 2 riggers at whatever depth i want and i would be good.. thanks for the replies tho..