Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 3 Day Winnipesaukee Report

Nice report thanks for the info.
BARRY

The smaller fish go for the spoons pretty good, bigger fish like the live bait, but it's like watching grass grow.

Most popular Derby bait is smelt by far.

Big John

My own tied flys have been working well also this spring,can't really say what they are cause I never named any of them.Did name one after Throbbin rods that is working quite well,It has caught more fish than you might think with a name like that!!!(just kidding Bill)
BARRY

If I was fishing the derby this weekend I would probably fish some live bait for at least some of the time. Like you said though John its kind of like watching paint dry gets boring fast going 1 mph or less.

My other problem with live bait is it is so finicky and dies so easily. Drives me nuts.

fishRman
If I was fishing the derby this weekend I would probably fish some live bait for at least some of the time. Like you said though John its kind of like watching paint dry gets boring fast going 1 mph or less.

My other problem with live bait is it is so finicky and dies so easily. Drives me nuts.

Don't tell anyone, but I tried live (again) this past Friday, no luck of course, maybe I go too fast ???? But out of the 2 dozen smelt I bought, 4 died and the others lived for almost 3 days in my insulated bucket before I let em go. I put a zip lock bag with ice cubes in the bucket and added a little lake water each day (which is realy too warm now) I was realy surprised how long they lived. I had the insulated bait bucket in a cooler too. So I have keeping them alive dpwn pat, catching fish with them I'm still light years away. My advice would be buy a bag of ice cubes and a few times a day fill a zip lock bag with ice cubes and put in in your bait bucket, insulated buckets are best. Never add fresh water or ice directly to the water in the bucker, instant death.

I applaude those that faithfuly use them in the spring, you will catch bigger fish most times.

Big John