Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G2 planers - are we missing out?

So Big John and I fished hard last weekend (Squam), total1ing around 19 hrs with at two planers in the water> We mixed it up a bit, but mostly were running two colors plus around 50 ft main line, 7 ft leader. Saw little to no action with this setup, but marked many fish coming up to 10 feet to take a look, then dropping down again.

I got to thinking, they are attracted to the prop splash on the boards, but drop down before ever seeing the streamer. Gonna putting in some hours over the weekend with only a few feet of mainline / leader, now that Paul has the new "cup style" release, which should allow the planers to keep jigging without the extra drag from the lead.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this? If so, would like to hear results?

Good luck to all this weekend!

L

Re: G2 planers - are we missing out?

The new style cup release. Doesn"t work still need the lead core . To keep it jigging.Have used it about 30 hours. Works best with at least one color of lead core.

Have been using the planers and the cable stackers. Total of about 20 hrs. Both the planers and stackers are working excellent. Only about 3 or 4 goof ups. Definitely need the cup release on when not using any lead, the planer dives under and the riggger will not release the jig line with out one or the other being used for resistance. Have used just the cup release on the rigger stacker with out lead and it works great with the mono.

Still have yet to catch a fish off them!!!! As a mater of fact went back to old school and took both the stackers and planers off today around 9 am, put out the otter boats and reg downrigger gear and started catching fish immediately. I know these things are going to produce, they look and function great....just need a little more time with them.

leftyyyy
So Big John and I fished hard last weekend (Squam), total1ing around 19 hrs with at two planers in the water> We mixed it up a bit, but mostly were running two colors plus around 50 ft main line, 7 ft leader. Saw little to no action with this setup, but marked many fish coming up to 10 feet to take a look, then dropping down again.

I got to thinking, they are attracted to the prop splash on the boards, but drop down before ever seeing the streamer. Gonna putting in some hours over the weekend with only a few feet of mainline / leader, now that Paul has the new "cup style" release, which should allow the planers to keep jigging without the extra drag from the lead.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this? If so, would like to hear results?

Good luck to all this weekend!

L

With just a few feet of main line and leader you will be right on top, would be tough keeping your release in the water i would imagine
......not sure how that would work but good luck with it.

The g2 planer boards. I mostly use full sinking fly line.But have used mono and a dive bomber attached to it to get the mono down.Ive caught a few fish off the planer with this set up.They come in different weight sizes. For different depth".This keeps the line closer to the board. I also use a g2 stacker did catch two salmon the other day. Using mono but had too keep resetting the jigger after about 10 minutes. It would just stop jigging. So I switched to lead core. It would jig for hours but didn"t catch any fish either. So far the fish I"ve caught have have been on lines closer to the jigger. I too have a lot of fish swim up. But stop before getting into the spread.

Tried it out on Sat and Sunday, had no trouble keeping the jigging going. I'm using the slow prop, boat speed between 2.4-2.6. Tied in a very short piece of leadcore to just keep the line below the surface. No takers on this setup all weekend, the more I think about it, I think the stacker or ball is the way to go so we can go deeper.

I'm convinced the prop action brings in some lookers, just have to play around more with line length a bit more. Think the key to running straight mono is keeping the speed up. And have to use the cup release of course.

i dont use them for slow speeds, but 2.4 to 3.5 they work better for me and produce even better than the downriggers, even during the summer months. this was the last week slow trolling with bait for me and all my salmon were on jims jigger with golden shiners fishing slow. last year i saw salmon biting the orange jigger clip, i roll cast out a streamer and immediatly had three salmon chasing and fighting for it right next to the boat, only happened once but it was heart pumping to watch