Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A few downrigger questions

probably gonna give my new downriggers a shakedown this weekend, got a question or two. please bear with me here, i'm still learnin.

downrigger ball, does it matter what color it is? i'm pretty sure the balls that came with them are just plain lead, silver. does color matter at all?

my other question is, how far back behind the boat should i run the lines? i've heard of running them as close as 20 ft, and back as far as 150 or so. what seems to work the best?

Re: A few downrigger questions

It all depends if you run blades or not if you're running blades you want to be close to them I go about 6'-8' behind.If I'm running a clean ball the 100' rule 20'down 80' back, 30' down 70' back etc....good luck.
BARRY

you mean blades on the cable i assume?

Yep either vertical or horizontal.
BARRY

we put the blades on the wieght, paint the fish shaped wieghts flo green-yellow

I am not questioning anyone who has replied thus far. I don't think there is a hard & fast rule for everybody. I would consider everyone's replies and try what you like or try them all. I will give you an example of today for us. In A.M., tried to figure out why the riggers would not fire? The leads were doing just fine, P.M., tried to figure out why the leads were not firing, because the riggers were on fire. Go figure? On Riggers, (all day) (1) 35' behind ball, with no blades, second rigger, spoon was, 4 to 6' behind blades. In the p.m., riggers had two very different spoons on. The action was 50/50, although one worked better for a while, than the other worked better. Go figure? Not trying to confuse you, but maybe some food for thought?
Richard

Richard is correct as I don't always use the 100' rule either,how ever it's a good place to start see what works for your situation and go with you gut from there.
BARRY

thanks guys, good suggestions. i'll play with it some and see what works.

i ran into a problem last night though. the ups guy delivered my riggers yesterday and i immediatley got to work on installing them. right off i ran into an issue. mine came with the tab lock bases which are too large for the gunwales on my boat. they're too wide by about 1.5". now i need to find a way to mount em on there. i've been doing some searching online for a solution, but haven't found anything that'll work yet. i may have to fab up some type of brackets that'll fit on the gunwale (screwed down) and another, upper part that the base can mount to.

There is a product called king starboard that is a polymore sheet in half to three quater in. thickness. Cut the size you need, thru bolt to gunnel and mount base. Or if you have gunnel rod holders you can buy gimbal mounts for the riggers. If you want some starboard product I,ll give you what you need as I have plenty of extra. Also have some gimbal mounts. e-mail me if I can help. Cal P.

thanks, that's very kind of you. sent you an email but it got kicked back.

This may be another option. I will be eventually installing these on my new ride.

http://www.traxstech.com/Mounting_Tracks.html

thanks for the help everyone. i ended up building some some mounts out of steel. pretty simple design.. basically like a hitch/receiver setup. they work pretty well. managed to try em out this weekend on winnisquam. no salmon, but i did pick up a small rainbow.

i also grabbed some chamberlain releases too. glad i did.. the ones that came with the riggers didn't seem like they would work all that well. the chamberlains are really nice.

i run lures 8 to 20 feet off a painted ball, either chartruese green yellow or orange, the painted ball attracts fish close in. earlier when the line is much further out the lead or black color works better, no attraction for long lines out is needed or wanted on the ball