Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Maine (Rangley or Moosehead Area) Accomodations?

Lily Bay on Moosehead.

As I recall it was beautiful. Many years ago I camped in Rockwood on the west side of Moosehead which was nice but while there I later found this ME state campground and have been wanting to go back for years.

Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake offers waterfront camping at the gateway to Maine's North Woods a destination renowned for its outdoor recreation opportunities (from hiking and canoeing to fishing and wildlife watching). Established in 1961, Lily Bay State Park was created primarily from woodland donated to the State by Scott Paper Company. New England's largest lake, spanning 117 square miles, Moosehead has cool, clear waters and relatively undeveloped shores that make it an appealing destination for boaters, fishermen and vacationers seeking a taste of wilderness. The 925-acre park provides two distinct camping areas bordering the lake with 90 campsites, a sandy swimming beach, playground, two trailerable boat ramps, and a 2-mile, shoreline walking trail.

Keep pets on leash (less than 4 feet) at all times and do not leave pets unattended.

http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/doc/parksearch/search_name.pl?state_park=17&historic_site=&public_reserved_land=&shared_use_trails=&option=search

Thanks Sully, that does look nice, showers even. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention my camping days are numbered at this point. We tried remote tenting last year and again earlier this year (Squam island) and I think we're looking more for a lodge, resort, or cabin to rent this time. Thanks again for any input.

Hi Hammerfish,

Take a look at this site for Moosehead rentals. Sorry but no first hand experience.

http://www.mooseheadlake.org/accommodations.shtml

Maynards camps and lodge is rustic and on the Moose River about a half mile from Moosehead Lake in the town of Rockwood. Good launch and dock along with good fishing and good food served at the lodge. Cal P.

I like Wilsons on Moosehead...can't say enough good things about them. We usually fish/hunt there 4-5 times a year. They are also right on the East Outlet of the Kennebec River (Fly Fishing Only) as well as on Moosehead Lake. It's pet friendly and has a bunch of different cabins.
http://www.wilsonsonmooseheadlake.com/

I have fished both lakes over the years, more time on Rangeley though. I always tried to find places to stay that the wife could walk into town as I boat fish in the AM and drive to fly fish a river in the PM. In Rangeley the best bet is Town and Lake Motel, beaches, cabins, and boat slips. On Moosehead I stayed at Chalet Moosehead in Greenville, no cabins just motel rooms but they have slips and I think a little beach. Be carefull on Rangeley as it will be flat calm at daybreak but when the sun comes up the thermals work out of the mountains and you get a five foot chop by noon. You need a rugged boat on Moosehead since it is so wide open. Good luck.

Thank you very much! This gives me some good leads and options. I really appreciate the info. Thanks again.