Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Sampson

Rest in peace Johnny. No one loved salmon fishing more than you. Thank uou gor all of ypur generousity.

Gods Blessings

RIP Big John, thanks for sharing, thanks for the memories.

Mac

I am with out question sad but lucky to have known John and fished with John, We shared plenty of trips on the barge on Big Squam together and had some great times on that body of water as well as on land. I am working in Plymouth the last couple of weeks and I drove up to his camp just to see if he was around but nobody was home, Now i hear he is gone. RIP John I also feel bad if there is any type of salmon in heavan because we know he will go and hunt them down!!

Thank you John for all you have done for everyone here on FLW

Charlie

I don't think many didn't get a chance to fish on the barge with the captain! He will truly be missed and was truly the king in the land of the giants. RIP Big John..

Popeye

Service information

John's obituary can be found in the Lowell Sun and Boston Globe.

John H. Sampson Jr.

Founder, Sampson Brothers Landscaping

BILLERICA -- John H. Sampson Jr., age 69, beloved husband of Janice M. (Potzka) Sampson, died Friday, at their home, after a brief illness.

Mr. Sampson was born in Newton, May 30, 1943, the son of the late John H. Sampson Sr. and Mary (Addario) Sampson, and lived in Lexington before moving to Billerica 47 years ago.

Mr. Sampson was one of the founders of Sampson Brothers Landscaping in Billerica and was the President of the company until his retirement two years ago. Mr. Sampson was also the owner of Sampson Brothers Loft where he raised, raced and sold pigeon's around the world.

He was an avid fisherman and enjoyed fishing for Salmon on Squam Lake on his boat that he referred to as "The Barge".

Besides his wife, Mr. Sampson is survived by his sons, John H. Sampson III and his wife, Cindy of Tyngsboro, David Sampson and his wife, Lia of Billerica, and Richard Sampson and his wife, Abby of Billerica; his sisters, Karen Lynch of Tewksbury, and Janet Welch of Naples, FL. He is also survived by seven grandchildren.

SAMPSON -- of Billerica, July 20, John H. Sampson Jr. Funeral Tuesday from the SWEENEY MEMORIAL FUNERAL HOME, 66 Concord Rd., Billerica at 8 a.m. A Funeral Mass will be held at St. Theresa Church at 9 a.m. Relatives and friends respectfully invited. Visiting hours will be held Monday from 4-7 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Make a Wish Foundation, One Bullfinch Place, Boston, MA 02114. Funeral directors, W.J. and Dean M. Laurendeau. www.sweeneymemorialfh.com

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lowellsun/obituary.aspx?n=john-h-sampson&pid=158703882#fbLoggedOut

Just returned from out of State.
Jon treated me right, we shared several trips on Squam & Winni these last few years.
I will remember all the smiles. & giggles.
RIP Big Jon
W-Fat

Go rest in peace Big John.
BARRY

What a shock..so hard to believe this is true...All you guys that fish with John know how much he supported our efforts at cut2spec with the jiggers and the cee dee flies. A couple weeks ago I sent John 10 dozen streamers he was sharing with the Sunday morning brunch trolling guys at squam...I got a chuckle how he coined that phrase the "brunch troll". I rememmber the first day he came to our shop to look at our jiggers...all the work he and Russ did in getting us to try new tweaks and improvements..and did we ever catch some beauties on the barge. So many emails from him this year..so positive about how things were looking up and the doctors were making great progress. Our deepest sympathies to Janice and the boys and the grandkids.
Squam's Big John, what a streamer, I'll tie that pattern forever and never forget the pictures of the big Salmon he was catching with it. He made me feel like I was catching them.
Here's to you brother, we'll always pursue that trophy landlacked Salmon that you showed so many guys was still posible to catch.

My prayers go out to his family.What a fisherman,I also came to know and fish with him.I learned alot about squam.it`s hazards and its rewards from him.I saw him 2 weeks ago at squam and we talked on the radio,he was looking for that 10 pounder that he never got.I will always remember the trips on the barge.The good trips where fish were caught or we got 'Squamed'Good by John B-man and the pup

prayers to john and his family and friends. i never met him, but it sounds like he was well liked by all who knew him. those kinds of people are few and far between in this world. RIP john.

Big John took me out on "The Barge" once without knowing me from a hole in the wall. We had a great time that day with W-Fat and Big John. He was very welcoming and taught me a few of his tricks. I am sad to hear of his passing. I hope he is catching 10 pounders in the sky!

John was a RFP, though not active recently. Many of us had an opportunity to fish with him. He loved to play with the fishfinder/gps and I remember one time on Salty's boat when John was steering, we almost went ashore because of it.
My brother and I fished last spring with John off Marco Island down in Florida where he lived during the winter. Caught fish, saw a female manatee with her young, and had a great day with him. I was hoping for another invite from him this coming spring but that won't happen.He was a real joy to fish with.
We will miss you John.
Cal

We certainly will miss Big John. He got me back to salmon fishing on Squam. I had the best salmon catch and release day of my life with Big John a couple of years ago on the "Barge".
Followed him several times seeing him catch fish and all I did was wet a line.
See you in fishing heaven.

Louis

this is one of those posts you keep coming back to in disbelief. its a sad day out there. john will be well missed. prayers for the family

For years, every time I came on the FLW site the first posts I looked for were John Sampson's.

Last year I was treated to a gift of actually fishing with him. A true salmon fishing legend.

Rest in peace John.

sully

God Speed, Big John...I will always remember all the things you were good enough to teach me. You are and will be missed for sure. DOC

Very sad news God bless big John & his family.

Charlie

I hadn't seen John in a long time. We did have a few years where we spent a lot of time together, though. I will remember our fishing trips (especially the year he fished the Winni Derby with me on my boat), the first visit to his home (where I saw his pigeons and learned all I will ever need to know about pigeon racing - haha) and the fact that he caused me to become addicted with making my own lures for at least a year (I will never run out of lures - and I owe that to John). He definitely helped many people. Squam won't be the same without the Barge.

Very sad to hear. You will be missed, Big John.

Never fished with John, but enjoyed exchanging e-mails with him or stopping along side the barge off Church Island or Sandwhich Bay to get advice. Which he gave freely -- he got as much joy out of fish that others caught as he did from the many he hauled in. Will miss him.

Painful to hear, life is too short. Hope he catches all the fish he's ever dreamed about. Darn cancer....