Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new Derby Rules suck!

What derby?

The Winni Derby on May 14-17

Yeah - $80 to fish for both lakers and salmon. EIGHTY DOLLARS! They effectively doubled the cost of derby entry...so they must have doubled the prize money, right?

Thinking I'll be sitting this one out this year.

http://www.winniderby.com/derbyregistration.html

something seems strange, same ticket price but salmon prize is 7000 dollars more than trout. i would hope something is misprinted

The death of the derby!

It essentially makes you pay double 80.00 if you want to fish both species. I can't imagine just picking one like a trout and then getting a huge salmon I couldn't enter? I would be ******* So how many people are going to pay 80 or just say forget about it? They bill this as a family event but families don't have that kind of money for a fishing derby! This is a stupid idea- I wonder what brainchild thought of this?

It essentially makes you pay double 80.00 if you want to fish both species. I can't imagine just picking one like a trout and then getting a huge salmon I couldn't enter? I would be ******* So how many people are going to pay 80 or just say forget about it? They bill this as a family event but families don't have that kind of money for a fishing derby! This is a stupid idea- I wonder what brainchild thought of this?

Does everyone in the boat have to be entered for both if one person is entered for both.....this is moronic.....

Pretty much. What if the guy reeling the fish catches a huge trout but only purchased a salmon license. Then he's out, unless another guy in the boat wants to lie about it and say he caught it. This stupid extra 40 bucks is just leading to this type of cheating. People are just going to drop out of the derby- 80 bucks for entry? Their crazy!

It clearly says "Adults only need one $40 ticket to enter - youth can enter either Salmon ($30) or Trout ($40)"

They did this because of what happened with my son 2 years ago, he was leading Lake Trout division for 2 days and they told us if he ended up being overall winner he WOULD NOT win the grand prize for lakers, because there was a "Youth Division" for salmon only. He was only eligible for the daily prize.

Its allowing the kids to be in the youth division for salmon or the laker division, I agree it seems to mean a youth would have to buy 2 tickets, NOT an adult.

Its not letting me edit my previous post...so a better understanding of it is

I think they just haven't clarified what it means.....

2 years ago if you guys recall my son was leading lakers for 2 days. They were NOT going to allow him to win the grand prize. Their justification was he is a "junior" and is only eligible for Daily prizes and Junior Salmon prizes, not the laker Grand Prize.

This now allows a Junior to Win either the Junior Salmon OR the Laker Grand prize, but just has to pay $10 more. Adults only need to purchase 1 of the $40 tickets, it says it "Adults only need one $40 ticket to enter - youth can enter either Salmon ($30) or Trout ($40)."

I hope that helps clarify....it really is just making any youth entry pay as much as an adult would pay if they won the laker division.

It should be labeled "Youth Mixed Trout" registration fee.

-Scott

Makes sense now Scott.
Thanks for the clarification.

I believe the derby should make every effort to clarify this ASAP by every venue possible.
There's a lot of bad press on it already via social media.
I expect that they will lose a lot of folks due to the way it is written/ interpreted.

Thanks Scotty. Get on the ice asap ;-)

Capt. Bobby
Thanks Scotty. Get on the ice asap ;-)

Wish I could Bobby, I am in the Middle East for 1 more month, open water will be my 1st opportunity once i get home!

Just got an email from Diane the Derby chairwoman:

Scott - you are correct- i have pointed everything to the registration page which states that adults are only $40...I hope people read it.
Thanks for the email....and thanks for being a part of our event!!! See you i the spring - if it ever gets here...

Diane C LaBrie
Winni Derby Chairperson
The Winni Derby
NH's leading annual Landlocked Salmon and Lake Trout Derby

SmellsikeFishNH
Just got an email from Diane the Derby chairwoman:

Scott - you are correct- i have pointed everything to the registration page which states that adults are only $40...I hope people read it.
Thanks for the email....and thanks for being a part of our event!!! See you i the spring - if it ever gets here...

Diane C LaBrie
Winni Derby Chairperson
The Winni Derby
NH's leading annual Landlocked Salmon and Lake Trout Derby

Not sure what "pointed" means?

"leading", thought it was the one and only?

I have a "favorite" sister too. LMAO

Thanks for straightening that out! They need to change the derby rules then. Under #1 it says there is a salmon, jr salmon and mixed trout entries. It does NOT say that adult 40.00 registration covers both lake trout and salmon! Very confusing and not worded properly.

That is how they can interpret the rules as they want. There is no reason why they can't just have cut and dry rules in layman's language. This is a fishing derby for crying out loud, Not the health care bill. OOOPs Here I go............... LOL