Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No Winni derby this year....

Why do you think that? I haven't heard or seen anything?

Based on what I read I believe they lost a sponsor? The excerpt I read said they were looking for sponsors for 2017 so it makes me think someone backed out?

Oh....that's not good. I live in MA so I don't get to read the local paper. That's a bummer if they don't have it....my 11yo daughter looks forward to it every year.

Just read it on the unionleader.com. It's official no derby this year.

Look at the up side, although the derby will be missed you can still fish the lake with family and or friends, less boat traffic and rents might be cheaper. The fun is still there folks just gotta go find it.
BARRY

http://www.unionleader.com/Directors-cancel-this-years-Winni-Derby

the exact link is: http://www.unionleader.com/Directors-cancel-this-years-Winni-Derby

My group has already sent in our rental payments so we are on the water regardless that weekend. We will have a great weekend regardless but the Derby added some icing to the cake with a chance to cash in on a single fish. With the early ice out coming...the best fishing will be in April this year.

I am grateful that the organizers have put in so much work over the years to bring this event but also have been noticing a drop in attendance at the awards to a point where it feels like less of an event and more of a large gathering. It was only a matter of time before a large sponsor bailed out...probably Lowrance. Prizes have dropped over the years as attendance dropped. I hope they can revive it next year...it would be a shame to let this tradition go the way of history.

The late notice is a bit disappointing but the second reason seemed to be health issues with the organizer(s). It would be great if someone int he Rotary so benefit to picking up the flag and saving the derby this season or at least to take over next season.

Hopefully they update their website winniderby.com soon so this is more universally advertised....the announcement seems a bit "muted".

They need to bring the news paper back to attract the sponsors like Rick Davis did.

I think they need to change the rules a bit. they need to permit a fisherman to enter a fish with out having a witness this way they will get the angler that fishes alone to purchase a ticket. That rule is ridiculous and unfair. If they want to more people to enter then do away with at least that rule. If they are so afraid that someone will bring in a fish from another lake then make all fish winners Subject to a polygraph as they do the big winners.

it would be nice to have a weigh station on both ends of the lake and to boost attendance at the awards maybe just hold all the winner give aways until sunday