Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8/11 Report

did you hear the guy on ch 12 say he caught a 6 yr old? that is the 2nd time I have taken my wife out this year and the 2nd time someone on the radio calls out with a 6 year old!!

After explaining to my wife what a 6 year old is, how rare and probably how long they are she came to the conclusion it was fake news..... I did not disagree... just sayin!

There have been a LOT of 6 year olds caught this year! Almost everyone I know who fishes the lake have caught multiple 6 year olds this year....

Dan

I get a kick out of that. I use to be when This site was a really active thing We were told if you catch a fish that OLD you might as well keep it because it has just about run its life out. So if they care are about the fish and the future of the sport then bring it home .that way it is not sucking up the forage just to have some one find it bloated up on shore. Also leaving the food for the younger smelt. And one last thing They can take photos I have been quite on this site for a very very long time but come on Please don't insult our intelligence. If you are going to make these statements PLEASER back them up with photos.

Dan308
There have been a LOT of 6 year olds caught this year! Almost everyone I know who fishes the lake have caught multiple 6 year olds this year....

Dan

I think people maybe mistaken. A 6 year old fish, especially multiples by just about everyone, we would be hearing of 26 to 28inch fish caught up over 5 and 6 pounds. I caught one 26inch fish last year and it was not on winni. I have never caught a salmon over 25 inches on winni and to hear of multiple 6 year olds caught by just about everone who you know fishes we would be hearing alot more of the trophy lake winni has become. I have not seen any of those
fish. I think people must be either seeing what they want to see or are just telling fish stories. Either way if you take the time to see how old the fish is you would think a picture or a neasurement of all these 6 year oldswould be out there....wouldnt you?

ilucas
Dan308

Dan

I think people maybe mistaken. A 6 year old fish, especially multiples by just about everyone, we would be hearing of 26 to 28inch fish caught up over 5 and 6 pounds. I caught one 26inch fish last year and it was not on winni. I have never caught a salmon over 25 inches on winni and to hear of multiple 6 year olds caught by just about everone who you know fishes we would be hearing alot more of the trophy lake winni has become. I have not seen any of those
fish. I think people must be either seeing what they want to see or are just telling fish stories. Either way if you take the time to see how old the fish is you would think a picture or a neasurement of all these 6 year oldswould be out there....wouldnt you?

Sorry you don't believe me but I have pics just don't know how to post nor do I have a photobucket account.

So a 23"-24" salmon with no clip at all is a two year old fish?? ...that is what you are saying??..... no clip is either a 2 year old or 6 year old. Which is it?

Freshguy, Grayghost, Salmoneer, and a few others who frequent this site as well as myself have all caught 6 year olds this year. I have seen them I have nothing to prove or lie about... I just fish the lake a lot...

Edited to add: A 6 year old fish on Squam will be a hell of a lot bigger than a 6 year old on Winni. Netting results have proven that.

Dan

I was told that all of these 22-24" fish without fin clips are two year old's. I am not sure I believe it, and I have asked for some more info, but I also find it hard to believe a 22-24" salmon is a 6 y.o.

We have boated a bunch of these fish in this size range which do not have fin clips this year. I know there were/is a great population of smelt this year so exceptional growth would not be out of the question in my opinion.

This fish has no fin clips, and was over 20" in early may this year. Hopefully I will hear back from one of the bio's, but I would think a 6 y.o. would be well over 26", and 6lbs if healthy.

Dan308
ilucas
Dan308

Dan

Sorry you don't believe me but I have pics just don't know how to post nor do I have a photobucket account.

So a 23"-24" salmon with no clip at all is a two year old fish?? ...that is what you are saying??..... no clip is either a 2 year old or 6 year old. Which is it?

Freshguy, Grayghost, Salmoneer, and a few others who frequent this site as well as myself have all caught 6 year olds this year. I have seen them I have nothing to prove or lie about... I just fish the lake a lot...

Edited to add: A 6 year old fish on Squam will be a hell of a lot bigger than a 6 year old on Winni. Netting results have proven that.

Dan

What I am saying Dan is, when I am on the water I listen to the chatter on the radio (not as much now as there was in the past) and I have heard more trophies caught and lost than in the past. Twice this year I have heard someone say that they caught a 6 year old but they didn't give the length of the fish ....so I pass that off as blah, blah, blah ya sure. The 16", 18" or 20" never has a year attached to it. 5 and 6 year olds are rare catches and with them usually comes a length. That's all, not calling you a liar, if a guy wants to put it out there that he catches a 6 year old why wouldn't he put a length with a fish that he needs to inform the age of? And you know what, both times the guy on the other end didn't ask either. I guess he must have been either been jealous or he didn't buy it .....of all the 6 year olds caught this year there must be at least one or 2 of exceptional health and size out there!!! Are they all 23 or 24"s?? I don't know but if we are talking about as you say multiple 6 year olds by all these guys each, why have we not heard of at least 1 or 2 26-28" fish at 6 or 7 lbs? Are they all stunted by hook wounds??? no mention of that in the posts or radio talk. I would like to know if we have a good population of true 5 and 6 year olds, having no report of exceptional size, weight or a picture of a proud catch it makes me question the chatter.

It seems many people are fixated on the length of fish! Here are the Mean Length by Age as recorded by NH Fish&Game for Lake Winni. This is for 6 yo
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"
There were no entries in 2014.
These measurements were taken from the fall netting surveys.
I hope this clears up any claims as to a 6yo must be 26+". Guys, the fish do not get that big in Winni, Champlain, yes, Winni no, we could only wish!!!

The Freshguy
It seems many people are fixated on the length of fish! Here are the Mean Length by Age as recorded by NH Fish&Game for Lake Winni. This is for 6 yo
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"
I hope this clears up any claims as to a 6yo must be 26+". Guys, the fish do not get that big in Winni, Champlain, yes, Winni no, we could only wish!!!

Could you tell me where you got these numbers? I looked for them and could not find them for 2014, 15 and 16. What I did find were previous years and there in some cases were no 6 year old fish netted at all and few 5 year olds. This year according to some there are quite a few 6 year olds being caught...not any 5 year olds? With all these 6 year olds being caught the mean size of 2015 & 2016 could be a total of only 2 fish for each year. I am not sure how many they netted and would love to see the totals . If we have as of right now at least 10 6 year olds caught so far this year by a fistful of guys that is a bigger sample than any of the netting results that I could find. Would be interested in the lengths of the at least 10 six year olds caught this year. Maybe some of the guys that caught them could give us some insight

ilucas
The Freshguy
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"

Could you tell me where you got these numbers? I looked for them and could not find them for 2014, 15 and 16. What I did find were previous years and there in some cases were no 6 year old fish netted at all and few 5 year olds. This year according to some there are quite a few 6 year olds being caught...not any 5 year olds? With all these 6 year olds being caught the mean size of 2015 & 2016 could be a total of only 2 fish for each year. I am not sure how many they netted and would love to see the totals . If we have as of right now at least 10 6 year olds caught so far this year by a fistful of guys that is a bigger sample than any of the netting results that I could find. Would be interested in the lengths of the at least 10 six year olds caught this year. Maybe some of the guys that caught them could give us some insight

Of the 101 fish netted in 2016 27 were 2 yrs old, 33 were 3 yrs old, 31 were 4 year olds, 5'were 5 year olds, 3 were 6 yr olds, 2 were 7' year olds. Remember last years 5 year olds are this years 6 year olds.....

Dan

Dan308
ilucas
The Freshguy
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"

Of the 101 fish netted in 2016 27 were 2 yrs old, 33 were 3 yrs old, 31 were 4 year olds, 5'were 5 year olds, 3 were 6 yr olds, 2 were 7' year olds. Remember last years 5 year olds are this years 6 year olds.....

Dan
WOW what a brilliant statement and start too.
"Remember last years 5 year olds are this years 6 year olds"

forry
Dan308
ilucas
The Freshguy
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"

Dan
WOW what a brilliant statement and start too.
"Remember last years 5 year olds are this years 6 year olds"

The reason I made that statement is so Ilucas would know the results I posted were from 2016 not this year, so chill out!

Have a nice day;

Dan

The fact still remains that in that 10% only 5 Five year olds were netted. unless you gentlemen are miss reading the fin clip charts. And again I ask why aren't you guys taking these fish home instead of putting them back leaving more feed for the future generation of salmon. The last Salmon meeting I went to they we encouraging us anglers to take the old ones for that reason. I also would like to have all you fellas answer this question as well Truthfully now. the question is DO YOU STOP YOUR BOAT WHEN YOU HAVE A FISH ON THE LINE? according to the Salmon pledge you are suppose to. I admit that I DO NOT. what say you guys?

i dont believe in that part of the pledge, nothing worse than trying to pull a big fish straight up. its better to keep an angle on the line pulling the fish forward and up, you land them much quicker this way. i drop the 6 horse kicker to its lowest speed and if its windy turn into the wind but keep a forward motion.

forry
The fact still remains that in that 10% only 5 Five year olds were netted.

Again you are giving incorrect information! In that 10%, 3% or 12 fish netted were 6 year olds and 2% or 8 fish netted were 7 year olds! Do you not have the netting results??

The average length of the 12 netted 6 year olds in 2016 was 22.3" with an average weight of 4 lbs.

The average length of the 8 netted 7 year olds in 2016 was 23.3" with an average weight of 4.5 lbs.

So if your catching a 23" 4lb no clip salmon why would anyone think it's not a 6 year old based on the net results???

Do you not believe the netting results?? Would you like a copy of the netting results?? Are the biologist posting incorrect facts??

If anyone wants a copy of the 2016 netting results please email me at ishoot@metrocast.net Ill be more than happy to send

Happy Fishing!

Dan

I agree completely with you now Dan. The reason I felt they were not six y.o.'s is I thought they would be bigger. After reviewing the netting results, and comparing it to what I'm seeing on the lake, I can't come to any other conclusion then that these are 6 y.o.'s.

Regardless I have learned some good info from this thread even some just want to argue.

If there were only 5 five year olds netted in 2016 then where are all these 6 year old fish coming from in 2017? OH I know they have been netted for the last five years they are so much smarter now and know to avoid the nets. But not quite smart enough to avoid a spoon or artificial fly that they have seen almost every day of there life a lot more than a fish net they see twice a year. Come on guys Please stop with the "one up man ship" and stop trying to impress. Just fish and have fun.

AND JUST REMEMBER, IN 5 YEARS THOSE FISH WOULD BE ELEVENTEEN YEARS OLD AND COULD HAVE KIDS OF THERE OWN.

forry
If there were only 5 five year olds netted in 2016 then where are all these 6 year old fish coming from in 2017? OH I know they have been netted for the last five years they are so much smarter now and know to avoid the nets. But not quite smart enough to avoid a spoon or artificial fly that they have seen almost every day of there life a lot more than a fish net they see twice a year. Come on guys Please stop with the "one up man ship" and stop trying to impress. Just fish and have fun.

You obviously don't have or didn't read the 2016 netting results. You should really read and interpret them before making unsubstantiated comments...13% of the fish netted were 5 years old or better, 6% were 6 year old, and there was one 7 year old netted as well.

So if someone like Freshguy who fishes the lake every single day (lucky *******!)catches a couple hundred fish a season why is it so hard to believe that he would catch multiple 6 year olds?? Heck according to netting odds he should catch a dozen 6 year old's in a season??

I'm going to add some fuel to the fire to really blow your mind... Just yesterday I was sent a pic of a 7 year old that was landed. If you go to the RFP Facebook site you will see a pic of this fish as well as a pic or two of some nice 6 year old's that were taken by very well respected fishermen who have been on the lake for decades! These guys are not liars or exaggerators, they are dam fine fishermen and sportsman with nothing to prove. They just simply love to fish.

Dan

Dan308
forry

You obviously don't have or didn't read the 2016 netting results. You should really read and interpret them before making unsubstantiated comments...10% of the fish netted were 5 years old or better, 3% were 6 year old, and there were two 7 year olds netted as well.

So if someone like Freshguy who fishes the lake every single day (lucky *******!)catches a couple hundred fish a season why is it so hard to believe that he would catch multiple 6 year olds?? Heck according to netting odds he should catch a half dozen 6 year old's in a season??

I'm going to add some fuel to the fire to really blow your mind... Just yesterday I was sent a pic of a 7 year old that was landed. If you go to the RFP Facebook site you will see a pic of this fish as well as a pic or two of some nice 6 year old's that were taken by very well respected fishermen who have been on the lake for decades! These guys are not liars or exaggerators, they are dam fine fishermen and sportsman with nothing to prove. They just simply love to fish.

Dan

Corrections made above to my previous post...

Ilucas, I'm sure if you contacted John Viar at NH Fish & Game he would be glad to send you the netting results. If you can't get in touch with him, I would be happy to send you '14, '15 and '16 netting results.

The Freshguy
Ilucas, I'm sure if you contacted John Viar at NH Fish & Game he would be glad to send you the netting results. If you can't get in touch with him, I would be happy to send you '14, '15 and '16 netting results.

Are the netting results on their website? I looked, cant find them.
Would be interested to see lengths of those older fish these last 3 years

The Freshguy
2015=21.3" 2016=22.3"

Exactly Freshguy! And the netting results also show the average length of a two year old to be 19.8".

So Zwiggles congrats on those 6 year olds you caught this year! Nice job. The 20" in the picture is a healthy 2 year old. !f your catching a 23" salmon with no clip it's a 6 year old. Again this isn't Squam or Champlain....

I Lucas, I don't measure every fish I catch and neither do most people I know unless I plan on keeping it due to hook wound or other reason for culling. I catch and release 99% . If time allows and if it's an exceptional fish I MAY quickly check the length but for the most part i check for a fin clip, record it in my log book, then let it go. I am quite experienced at telling the difference between a 2 year old and a 6 year old salmon and so are all my fishing friends on the lake. Send me your email and I'll send you a pic of a 7 year old that was caught on my boat two weekends ago, The only one I have ever caught that old in the lake.

Dan

Don't forget Quabbin. :)

photo 20160416_170935_zpsxq9kr9g6.jpeg

Hey Sully I'm still waiting for that trip to Newfound you promised me. LOL
Hope your seasons been good
Forry

A no clip fish can be a "wild" fish. There are a small amount of salmon that actually hatch and survive. They all spawn.

JoeG
A no clip fish can be a "wild" fish. There are a small amount of salmon that actually hatch and survive. They all spawn.

Fish & Game Biologist Estimate less than 1% are native hatched fish....

They do not all spawn. Due to the lack of tributaries and other issues common to female salmon, many hold their eggs and never drop them. That is why you catch females now that are still loaded with eggs. Their body will reabsorb the eggs eventually but it's not good for the fish. I have no idea what percentage do not spawn but I believe it was estimated at 10%....

Dan

Thanks. I know it's a minute amount that spawn successfully but quite a lot of them do spawn and the eggs don't survive due to the acidity of the water. My point was that a "no clip" fish may be a "wild" fish so it would be difficult to say what age it is.

I have not read through all these posts on this thread yet but a six-year-old I believe is a no clip. I volunteer at the hatchery to clip the salmon in the spring. It's very easy to miss a clip and send the fish back to the pool. If the clip isn't spot on the fin can grow back with slight deformity. Very easy to make the mistake of confusing a fish with the regrown fin.

Ozzy
I have not read through all these posts on this thread yet but a six-year-old I believe is a no clip. I volunteer at the hatchery to clip the salmon in the spring. It's very easy to miss a clip and send the fish back to the pool. If the clip isn't spot on the fin can grow back with slight deformity. Very easy to make the mistake of confusing a fish with the regrown fin.

I think you are on to something Tom. My friend said the same thing, "what happens if they miss clipping a fin at the hatchery". I think people may be mistaken in there rush to get the fish back in the water quickly.

That maybe explains all the reports of all these 6 year olds being caught (not any 5 year olds). I do have an email into F&G, hopefully I will hear back from them and they can shed some light on this.

It would be nice if we had a healthy population of these older fish but I think we would see some outstanding trophies if we did. At minimum we would at least see some 26+" fish on the thin side if these numbers were out there....my .02

I emailed one of the bios at F&G and he said the same thing. Most likely misidentified, or missed fin clipped fish that are 3-5 year olds. Although I agree it's a possibility, I personally think we are just seeing a great class of 6 y.o.'s. The five or six I have caught have all been the same size, and also would fit right inline with the size of fish described in the netting results. I think these 6 y.o.'s are actually a bit bigger then previous years results due to all the smelt in the lake.

F&G did report great results from their sonar surveys of smelt last year so this would make sense in my opinion.

zwiggles
I emailed one of the bios at F&G and he said the same thing. Most likely misidentified, or missed fin clipped fish that are 3-5 year olds. Although I agree it's a possibility, I personally think we are just seeing a great class of 6 y.o.'s. The five or six I have caught have all been the same size, and also would fit right inline with the size of fish described in the netting results. I think these 6 y.o.'s are actually a bit bigger then previous years results due to all the smelt in the lake.

F&G did report great results from their sonar surveys of smelt last year so this would make sense in my opinion.

I just dont get it. The biologist who studies the fishery tells you more than likely the fish are misidentified or faulty fin clip and yet we are back to anbundance of short 6 year old fish!!!! Now we are also catching 5 year olds that are the same size. Let me ask this, are any of these 5 and 6 year olds skinny racer type fish?? If not can they truely b 5 and 6 year olds.

At that age we have been told they are close to the end. We are getting reports from you guys that these cookie cutter 6 and now 5 year olds are all 23 and 24inches and 4lbs!!! Where are the outliers at 26 and 28 5,6 and 7 pounds??? Was a time a 4 year old was out of the ordinary and i nice fish at 24 inches 4.5 pounds....now those numbers pertain to most 5, 6 and 7 year olds!!!!

I buy what Tom and the biologist reason, that most likley it is miss clipped or identified... last year i caught a 26.5" fish...it was a racer, very thin and pretty much at the end of the road. I took him home to eat. I figured him to b a five year old. I dont know for sure but that was my guess. I caught a 25 inch salmon on winnasquam a few years back and that was identified by Russ Johnson (a very knoledgable fisherman)as a skinny racer type 5 year old according to fin clip. So they are out there for sure, but i find it hardto believe in the numbers being talked about and with no super trophies or skinny racers beig mentioned

The reason I posted that I disagree with him is because the bio I received a response from was not John viar, and it was his best guess. I am still waiting to hear back from john, and the bio I spoke with said he would default to John as he has the measurements from the nettings.....

Dan already posted some of the netting results, and was kind enough to send me some of these last year. If you look at the previous years results, and the average size of 6 y.o.'s at winni (not squam or sunapee) you will see most are somewhere around 22-23" on average. This size combined with a lack of fin clips on the fish is why I have this opinion.

I could still be wrong, and I'll add any additional responses I get to this thread.