Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where is the thermocline?

Have only fished Winni one time this summer a couple of weeks ago and did not catch anything other than a rock bass down 40 FOW! I had a few releases which was discouraging. I plan to fish next week Wednesday thru Saturday. Was wondering at what depth is the best for salmon on the rigger?

Re: Where is the thermocline?

I have not been up in a few weeks, but in general in the northern half it should be 35-40, and much deeper in the big southern basin. Again I have not been up in a few weeks, but last year around this time it was around 55 down south. If you don’t have a temp gauge I would go to ajs and ask what he has heard.

In general if your getting smallmouth keep dropping down, and you should find the trout. The lake trout should also be stacking up and putting in a feed bag in the deeper water.

Good luck!

Hap
Have only fished Winni one time this summer a couple of weeks ago and did not catch anything other than a rock bass down 40 FOW! I had a few releases which was discouraging. I plan to fish next week Wednesday thru Saturday. Was wondering at what depth is the best for salmon on the rigger?
I was at BP last Saturday and it was between 38 and 42 feet down I too caught a dam rock bass in 120 feet of water 44 feet down. We need to get rid of those pests. Caught some reel nice fish. The bite was a little later and ends quickly

Re: Where is the thermocline? Rockbass

I fished off a large dock in Saunders Bay a couple of Mondays ago, fished with a trout magnet, it was a Rock bass per drop for over an hour. The entire length of the dock held them. It use to hold yellow perch, pumpkinseeds, and small bass. Now about the only thing there are Rock bass. I can't believe how quickly they have colonized the Lake. If only we could get those commercial fishermen from VT back to target the them.

Thanks, I usually use DB smelt lures and will try and pick up some top gun lures as well. I think I will try some jigging for lake trout as well since I have never done that before. I have the SPOT LOCK on the Ulterra trolling motor so just need to find them on the Humminbird.