Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: shifted to striper action!

The Mac kills people every year. It is mean. It can be fished, but when I went last year I was thankful someone with experience was behind the wheel.

Thanks for everyone's input to Hap. My Dad watched the weather for sure. We had a 16' Montgomery Wards semi-vee w/15 HP white Johnson motor. Wind out of the east, fishing's the least. Wind out of the west, fishing's the best. This must of been a good west wind day in June of 1968 fishing the "Mud Hole". I been at it a long time.
Capt. Bobby
salt

Nice flashback.

Thanks Ranger, We always had Haddock, Flounder and Oysters on the table at our house. Used to love raking Oysters in Great Bay. My son an myself have gone to the remaining beds w/very poor results :-( I'm afraid Great Bays dead for Oysters, hope I'm wrong.... Captain Bobby

You maybe right on Great Bay.Hoping to get back up to Winni in early July. Sounds like
the fishing has been tough.

Captain Bobby
Thanks Ranger, We always had Haddock, Flounder and Oysters on the table at our house. Used to love raking Oysters in Great Bay. My son an myself have gone to the remaining beds w/very poor results :-( I'm afraid Great Bays dead for Oysters, hope I'm wrong.... Captain Bobby
Don't know when your last trip to Great Bay was Bobby?
There's quite a lot going on with oysters the last few years.
UNH has done a lot of research, enhancing beds and seeding .
There's at least three commercial oyster operations in there now also.

Richard, My last trip was this March. From boat launch to well around Adams point my son and myself raked maybe 1/2 dozen oysters. I admit we weren't in boat. Years past we'd be limited out from boat launch heading east on shore! Fill us in, please!! I don't think we can rake in the controlled beds! Captain Bobby

Captain Bobby
Richard, My last trip was this March. From boat launch to well around Adams point my son and myself raked maybe 1/2 dozen oysters. I admit we weren't in boat. Years past we'd be limited out from boat launch heading east on shore! Fill us in, please!! I don't think we can rake in the controlled beds! Captain Bobby
I'm not an oyster man, Bobby.
Can't tell ya where to find them. I know they're no where near as prevalent as they were in the sixties.
I do have a couple friends that have spent huge amounts of time on the Bay for decades.
They're able to get their limits (in season) when they want along with other bounties of the Bay. FWIW, both own boats and know that water intimately.
I believe there's a Nature Conservancy that's rebuilding and reseeding beds along with UNH. Those beds will be open for public use at some point. I doubt the commercial guys want you in their cages. ;-)
FWIW, "The current rule has been in place for more than 30 years and states that oysters shall be taken “by use of hand tongs or by hand.” The public is reminded that, until there is a change to this rule, the use of rakes to harvest oysters in New Hampshire is not a legal method of harvest."
Good luck.

Thanks so much for your in-put Richard. When I was younger (even 20 years ago) it was so easy doing several outdoor sports. Guessing I need to spend more time on Great Bay. Not enough time in each week anymore. Capt. Bob

Thanks for the comments- will be sure to go to Merrimack mouth on a calm day. Most likely will be coming south along coast from Hampton Harbor and will not attempt to go into mouth if large waves are seen! That being said- I only caught three schoolies last Sunday and about 16 mackerel. The drift for macks at Breaking Rocks was way too fast and the waves picked up with the wind so I left after that. I will be staying at the NASWA resort on Paugus Bay for July 7 -10, so another attempt at the salmon fishing- hoping it will get better!