Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

A lot of us use a small barrel swivel behind about 4' of florucarbon leader and tie directly to the lure. Someone else could tell you about dodgers as I don't use them that often. There was a lot of discussion on this a while ago. (On this site)

Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

Thank you for responding. I guess everybody else is either fishing or don't want to share thier secrets. thanks for you r help

I have a small size 16 barrel/snap swivel at the end of my 6lb mono to eliminate twist. I tie all my lures directly to a separate piece of 4 or 6lb mono about 6 feet in length and then on the other end tie a small loop in the mono which I then attach to the snap.

Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

Thanks I'll that any othe rtips are welcome

Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

I had that question pre ice-out, so when I spent three days up at the lake I ran a ball bearing snap swivel on one leadcore and tied directly to the ring on the lure of the other. Success was equal with 4 and 4. So I can very unscientifically, based on a small sample size, say that it doesn't make much difference. I personally prefer to tie directly to the lure and always have until now. I'll prob keep it half and half if only for the convenience of swapping out colors quickly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

Forrest, During the day you probably won't see too many post's as like you said most people are out on the water, but anytime you ask a question on this board people will always steer you in the right direction You've got my personal guranntee on that, I also have tried it both ways and have pretty much had Equal success, I found these swivels made by Berkley that are called Quick Clips, I love them if ya got stubby fingers like this dumb frenchman they work like a charm no more trying to open the swivel LOL we had them on all of our poles today and still caught fish so I'm not sure, on my leadcore i have between 80 to 100 feet of 10lb connected to my leadcore by a small BB swivel then my leader is about 8ft tied to another bb swivel and at the end of that i have that quick clip, I can change lures in a matter of seconds and have my line back in the water within 4 minutes, I love them Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines Dave!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

Thanks for your response. do you use flashers and dodges at all if so how far back do you put the lure from them??????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

When we use a dodger it is usually with fly or streamer. We tie the fly aprox. 10"-12" back from dodger with a piece of mono leader. It can be very effective!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

great thank you very much I'll keep you posted on my results

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

On the dodgers, 12" with flies or bait, 18" to 24" with lures. Very effective for lakers. Good Luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swivels or no Swivels????? Please help

Thanks I appreciate the help

Some guys (Adrien for one) tie a knot as fast as you can spit, not me and when I tie a knot it's not allways a good one.

It's allways been considered a "no-no" to use a swivel clip directly to a lure but rather tie on direct with a barrel swivel back a few feet to as may as 10 feet to prevent line twist and to attach to your main line..

What I do us take off the split ring and use Norman Speed Clips direct from my leader to the Spoons. From Cabelas Norman Speed Clips: IG-110226 (pack of 50)cheap, very easy and fast and we catch Salmon, many up to just shy of 6 pounds.

I do this on all my spoons except Suttons, the eye is to far back on the Sutton to use these clips direct, you have to leave the welded ring on..

Streamers can only be tied direct as far as I know.

John S.