Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for the biologists on the board

I have noted fish tapeworms in all four fish I have dressed for the table this spring (one lake trout, two salmon, and one rainbow trout). Have others noted this?? I routinely open the gut of fish I clean to see what they have been eating and have easily found these infestations. Maine Fish and Game has a page on salmon tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium dendriticum which describes the life cycle. Looks like we should be careful of getting rid of shiners/smelt after fishing, so they are not consumed by gulls (intermediate host of this infection) and should bury fish cleaning waste so that your dogs/cats will not be exposed and possibly infected by these tapeworms.....and cook your fish completely through....That should take care of it. I found this information interesting, hope you did too. This is a link to the Maine site. http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/fishlab/vol4issue1.htm

Re: Question for the biologists on the board

Yes I too have noticed tapeworms in one of the two salmon that I harvested this month. Didn't realize that other species (humans included) could get infested also. Cook your fish well.
Cal

Re: Question for the biologists on the board

I've been see the same thing in the salmon don't know about lakers don't eat them.

Re: Re: Question for the biologists on the board

i too have seen this in about 7-8 fish so far this year first time iv seen it.

Re: Re: Re: Question for the biologists on the board

Had the same thing in the female we got on sunday, i wasn't sure what they where, but i didn't find any in the meat of the fish just the guts, Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines Dave!!