(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: parasites/tapeworms

Dear John:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the fish were not safe for consumption (or I would not have eaten them myself!!) just found it interesting that such a high percentage of fish (4 for 4) were affected so far this year and was wondering what others on the lake were finding in their fish.
Of note, for any of you who are home smoking these great salmon, here is a good pdf file from the Alaska fish and game on home smoking fish which clarifies safe cooking temp for fish (150-160 degrees for "hot smoking" or rec freezing fish for 1 week) prior to a cold smoking technique (ie fish jerky)...This will help to be sure that you are not exposed to any parasites by your smoked foods.

http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/freepubs/FNH-00325.pdf

Re: Re: parasites/tapeworms

I was planning on answering the previous post when I finished my experiment in the lab this afternoon.

Glad to see that Fish and Game is on the ball and monitoring the board to clear up these questions for us. Couldn't have said it any better myself!! Thanks John!

Re: Re: Re: parasites/tapeworms

FYI there in Sunapee salmon also. I can usually tell from the condition of the fish if it has the worms. It seems there more prevalent at Winni, just my observation. But it's probably just a numbers game.

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: parasites/tapeworms

Tapeworms in salmon are nothing new,I have found tapeworms in Lake Winni salmon for as long as I can remember (40+ years of fishing the lake.) This is the reason why I fillet salmon vs cooking them in the round. If you are going to cook them in the round I would recommend NOT checking the stomach contents.

Also tapeworms are prevelant in Lake Winni smallmouth bass.

Bigbass

Hey bigbass i got the boat in the water yesterday. I wasnt completely ready to launch but my buddy coaxed me into it. All went well its so cool to have room to move and place the gear!
Whip