Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling bag(s) (HELP!)

I really need a trolling bag for my boat. "The Tank" has a lot of freeboard (+-3 feet) + a cuddy cab + a 2nd windshield + a canvas top, so...with a stiff breeze (you mean there's another kind on Winnie?) she morphs into a virtual aluminum sailboat! Her bulk hurls downwind at an amazing rate (given her, ahem "girth")
Altough I deploy a bucket (with a hole in it) behind me, it gives about the same results as trying to bail out the Queen Mary with a tea-cup. The downwind leg is over in seconds and it takes me 20 minutes to fight my way back upwind to the starting point. I troll WAY, WAY too fast.
I can make a bag. I have an industrial power sewing machine (& as a retired firefighter & a combat veteran I'm comfortable enough in my manhood to raise my hand & admit that, "Yes, guys, I can sew.") I have the nylon material, 1" strap, & a Cabella's catalog with a picture so, I have the general idea, but I really would appreciate it if somebody who's parted with the money to buy one & is satisfied with it in actual use, could let me know the measurements. I know they are sized for different boats, so if it helps "The Tank" is 18' ft long (But given all the above, a larger bag than is called for just might be a real good thing!) I need the width & length of each of the four panels that make up the "cone" as well as the diameter of the small hole & the size of the open (mouth) end. I know about the weight sewn into the bottom of the open end & the foam in the opposite seam & I think I can figure the dump strap too. It's the actual panel sizes I need & the length of the straps going to the boat.

Thanks a lot,

Gary

Re: Trolling bag(s) (HELP!)

Gary, if you're in the Laconia area, you're more than welcome to pick up one of my trolling bags and take it with you to use as a reference during your project. I have two that came with the boat (21' cuddy, full canvas that acts as a sail also)... the previous owner swore by them, but I put a new trolling plate on it and prefer the simplicity of it. I will eventually sell the drift socks/trolling bags, but for now, you're welcome to take one as a pettern. If you're not local I can go dig them out and get some measurements later tonight.
Craig

Re: Re: Trolling bag(s) (HELP!)

Thanks Much,
I expect to be up the lake Tuesday AM to fish (if it's NOT absolutely pouring out) and no matter the weather I'll definately be up Wed & Thur nite leaving-Fri afternoon staying @ Silver Sands Motel in Gilford. & yes, it would be really handy to borrow one to have for a hands-on pattern. Considering your kind offer I'd be glad to travel to meet you, at your house, or where ever it's easiest for you. Mid day Wed-Friday I'll be off the water. Let me know. Thanks Again! My email is Maddog7337@att.net.

All the Best,

Gary

Re: Re: Re: Trolling bag(s) (HELP!)

Gary.. I have them at the store. Try the bags out.. 30 inch is what I use on my boat but 24-26 also work ok. You just need a little longer ropes to get them deeper in the water.. If they are riding close to the surface they won't slow you as much..

Jay

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolling bag(s) (HELP!)

Thanks for the size and your kind offer to try them out. Slipknot & Dennis have offered to let me borrow their bags to use as a pattern which is what I needed to make one or two. Now that I know the correct size (Is the 30" you mention the length from the mouth to the end of the cone, or the width of the mouth?)
I enjoy making stuff for The Tank. Many things on it are homemade and work just fine. Plus, it keeps me busy on the weekends (& off the lake) so I don't wind up assaulting morons (re: your post titled "depressing.")
Thanks Again for your offer. Also, the tip you gave me last week in your store (about using ice to keep the water the smelt are in 40 degrees or below) helped a lot to keep them alive.

All the Best,

Gary