Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Otter boat/planer board question

OK - question... I thought I was suppose to keep the mast as high as possible to keep the otter line out of the water and allow me to go further out? By moving the line down to the gunnel won't the line be closer to the water causing it to drag in a chop/wave and not allow as much distance out from the boat?
Yes, the otter line has a loop in it just as they said in the directions... about 9" from the front... and they track very well. I have no issues with slack line in turns the way they are set up, unless I really have to make a sharp turn. I think they'd go slack no matter how they were set at that point.
I've seen other boats set up exactly the same (been on them and seen the setup in action) and they didn't have the problem I'm having. My issue isn't with the otter boats... they track and work great... its the clip not making it all the way to the end of the otter line.
Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Otter boat/planer board question

Try pulling the lines down closer to the water.. Let me know what you think.. If your using the Yellow Planner releases from Off Shore. That is all we run.. Never have an issue.. But I also don't often times run my boards out past 75 ft.. I don't see any reason to do that.. But that is just my opinon... I use the boards to seperate lines so I can run more. a 165 foot pass should produce fish if they are biting.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Otter boat/planer board question

I'll give it a shot next time and see what happens... I have been going out further to allow two lines to be on each otter boat... seems in the past its always the furthest line from the boat that has the most action this time of year. Also allows me to put a line up in the shallow water that I can't get near while using the downriggers... I'm a rookie, so maybe this makes no sense... just what I've seen work before when fishing with friends??? I may be putting more thought into it than needed. (Overanalyzing again...) Thanks I'll let you know how I make out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Otter boat/planer board question

It might be that the last night is furthest from the boat or further back behind the boat.. The last line out on the board is usually the furthest back also.. Remember your lines only need to be spaced out by about 8-10 feet.. so with a 60 foot planner.. you can run three lines.. Hope this helps..

jay

Re: Otter boat/planer board question

Slipknot,
The problem that you are experiencing is due to the forces at the clip being in equilibrium that is to say; the 3 colors (60 ft.) of lead line in the water is creating a force on the clip that is equal to the force of the lead core that is attached to the fish pole. To increase the forces on the lead core in the water, the speed of the boat needs to be increased; this should help to pull on the lead core from the fishing pole. It is worth a try. Good luck.
Gus

Re: Re: Otter boat/planer board question

That was kind of what I thought... I figured I needed to put more line in the water (for more "drag"), but I hadn't given thought to increasing speed. I wonder if I were to pick up speed just until the line made it all the way out and then resumed a slower speed, would the clip stay as is, or would it slide back up...? I'll have to give that a try.
Well, at least I now have a bunch of things to try to solve my problem... Thanks guys.