Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unbelievable Sunday Morning

After Taking my 13 year old son and his 2 friends fishing for his birthday on Wednsday and Thursday, fishing with a friend on Friday and bringing the boys back to the lake on Saturday afternoon/evening for laker fishing I decided that Sunday we would spend at home.

Sunday morning I got up and the wife said she was going to clean all day and I that should do something with the boys (13 and 6). I live in Pembroke and close to the Merrimack River so I decided to take the kicker off of the Winni boat and put it on the 12 foot starcraft and go bass/pickerle fishing. We grabbed some dillies, bass gear and headed out.

We trolled for 1 hour with little luck and decided we would turn back and put some worms on and try still fishing. Just as we stopped my 13 year olds pole bent over. He said, "Dad I think I am hooked on bottom (the famous line)" So I took the rod and it began thumping !! I handed it back to him and said, "you have a big pickerle or carp on".

He fought that fish for 10 minutes, giving line and taking line.(He is quite a little angler growing up on Rattlesnake Island)when finally we got a glimps of the fish. It was an Atlantic Salmon. The blood was really pumping now !!!

After another 10 minutes we finally landed the fish. 8 lbs, 10 oz & 28" long !!! The fish was tagged and I do have a stamp. ( I never thought I would do anyhting with the stamp but being so close and fishing the river often I always purchase one).

My son son said to me " Dad, we have a 20' boat with over $10,000 in gear. We fish Winni 3 days a week and have never caught a salmon this big !! What's up with that ??

To that I replied, " son that is fishing' !!

I will remember this day for a long time! Oh yeah and by the way the six year old was ****** but after his 3 lb smallie he got over it!!!

Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

Sounds like an awesome memory and and lifelong story to be shared forever was created!!
Boy , those folks that don't hunt and fish, have no idea what they are missing!
Congrats!

Re: Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

That is an under statement !! The entire family ( 5 of us ) just finished eating it and it was absolutely awesome !! Plenty of left-overs too !!

One of my best days in a long time !!

Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

Great story. Must have something to do with that lucky kicker motor. Any pictures to share???

Brad

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

thats awesome
having taken my 5 year old son and 11 year old daughter out on the peggy c i know the feeling of seeing them catch their first fish !!!!
though this wasnt the anglers first IT WAS A GREAT ONE way to go and congrats to that young angler

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

My wife took some pictures. I am going to see if I can figure out how to post this evening. You are right Brad, it must have been the lucky kicker. Take care.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable Sunday Morning

Boy it`s a good thing you had purchased that stamp eh?? and purchasing one every year is a reel good idea!! by the way how`d ya make out friday on winni?
no 8 pounders but I hear you did some poundin out there.I`ll be out there again on tuesday.
good luck all & keep shakin it rattlesnake.