Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: treble or single hooks on lures

i use all different types of hooks on my lures and found that a SMALL single will do the least damage to the fish but you will miss a lot of strikes with it.

a treble like a size 8 or 6 like is standard on top guns and DB's is probably the second best for the fish and probably the best for the hook up on most every strike.

a large single or siwash like on size 3 needlefish is the worst for the fish because of it's large size. even though it leaves only 1 hole instead of 2 or 3 like a treble the hole can be very large and on small salomon and trout i have seen far too many times the hook go through and come out the brain and kill the fish instantly. also a lot of times it comes out the eyeball and that's not too good either.

Watch out for articles talking about great lakes or west coast salmon fishing because in those cases where the fish are 20 pounds plus a large single is best and does least damage and many times trebles are banned because of the damage a giant treble can do.

Here is The Bottom line
USE SMALL TREBLES OR SMALL (SIZE 6 OR 8) SINGLES
ALWAYS USE A RUBBER NET TO LAND FISH YOU PLAN TO RELEASE
HOLD THE FISH GENTLY WITH A DAMP CLOTH AROUND IT'S MIDSECTION AND DON'T SQUEEZE ANYWHERE
REMOVE THE HOOK WITH SMALL NEEDLENOSED PLIERS CAREFULLY (DON'T GRAB AND SHAKE)
ALWAYS BE EXTRA CAREFUL JUST BECAUSE IT SWIMS AWAY DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL SURVIVE.

Re: Re: treble or single hooks on lures

Very informative post Adrien. I always enjoy the info you share... You reminded me of a trick my grandfather always did when handling fish he planned to release... He kept a thin cotton glove in the boat that he would wet in the water and then handle the fish. Seemed he was able to hold a fish with less pressure to keep it from flopping around. He also figured it was easier to wash the glove in the lake than go home with smelly hands...

Re: Re: Re: treble or single hooks on lures modification??

yo adrien your tips on the needle fish were taken I have just bought a few myself. If I switch to a treble does it change the action of the lure? anyone else may respond thanks for the help

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Very informative post Adrien. I always enjoy the info you share... You reminded me of a trick my grandfather always did when handling fish he planned to release... He kept a thin cotton glove in the boat that he would wet in the water and then handle the fish. Seemed he was able to hold a fish with less pressure to keep it from flopping around. He also figured it was easier to wash the glove in the lake than go home with smelly hands...

Re: Re: Re: Re: treble or single hooks on lures modification??

If you plan on releasing most of your fish, I crimp the barb and the fish come off very easily. Somewhat more of a chalenge to bring it to the net. (rubber net).

Squam has been very slow!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: treble or single hooks on lures modification??

the hooks on the size 2 needlefish lures are okay but the size 3 lures have a gaff hook. you won't hurt too many with the size 2 needlefish. and trebles will hurt the action of this lure a bit. stick with it the way it is or switch to a small treble if you are using the size 3's they will still run well.

Releasing trout / salmon

Its so hard not too put too much pressure on trout / salmon or to avoid rubbing off their protective slime, glove or not. I was so upset with my seeming inability to release a trout / salmon unharmed that I've learned to stop handling them altogether. They are so fragile compared to bass...Instead, I bought a pistol-grip type hook removal tool and I hold the fish up by the line and grab the base of the treble hook on my Mooselook or Top Gun. A flick of the wrist is usually enough to drop the fish right back in water, no handling. I do this exclusively with trout / salmon now and the fish zip away, as opposed to swimming slowly (or floating or doing the i'm-going-to-die-in-five-minutes roll). I think this is a better way to release trout/salmon unharmed than any means of handling the fish. I learned this from a guide up on Moosehead in ME. As soon as I started doing this my release of fish (unharmed) improved dramatically.

Eric