Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam report/lake turning over.

Nothing to talk about except to say better people (fisherman) than me, also got skunked on Squam this weekend.

A question myself and allot of other new (and old)fisherman to the message board ned a deatil answer to. What exactly does the lake turning over mean ?????? I have had it explained a few times but still haven't a clue what it means and how it can negatively effects the fishing, or is it just a "good excuse" when the fishing can be bad this time of year ????

I'm just having a problem understanding it, perhaps we can have a discussion here about it seeing there arent too many fish to talk about.

I did hear some guys had a good day on Sunapee, not allot of fish but some nice ones.

John S.

Re: Squam report/lake turning over.

the density of water is highest around 39 degrees, what that means is that when the water is colder than 39 degrees it will be on the top. as the water warms past 39 degrees, the colder water will now be on the bottom of the lake. the fish get highly scattered up and down the water column at that time of 39 degrees

Re: Re: Squam report/lake turning over.

Yesterday it was 51 at first light and 53/54 later in the day, Little Squam was 56 degrees.

Last week surface was 49/50 degrees, and 39 degrees at 15' if I remember correctly. I didn't run my probe yesterday ??

John S.

John,
The following article gives an explanation of spring and fall lake turnover with graphics. http://mdc.mo.gov/fish/ponds/laketurn/
Regards,
Gus

Sometimes when it happens, you can see the change in water clarity. In fact, I put the boat on Saturday in Wolfeboro for the first time this year. It seemed that winni might have been flipping this weekend as well. The water appeare very murky down through the water when normally it is crystal clear. Spun out by Clay and Black Points and it was the same.

Anyone else notice?

Re: Re: Squam report/lake turning over.

Yes. A lot of stuff coming up from the bottom. And water not a clear as usual.