Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Time to clean the boat...

If you can find it, get some stuff called Mean Green. I bought a gallon of it a couple years ago and still have better than half of it. I haven't found anything it wont take off. It also comes in a spray bottle.

Check out my posting FYI on april 22 5:45
Great stuff, good luck
Ernie

Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

Ernie, I tried to find that stuff and emailed you about it too (back at original posting)... couldn't find it. What department of the store was it in. Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

This stuff can be found in Super Wallmart, food section,under house cleaning supplies, it works great.
Ernie

Simple Green is an excellent product. Use it all the time.

Salty, I keep a bottle of Simple Green on the boat... great for the daily cleanup.
The stuff I'm trying to clean up now is stains that were there when I bought the boat... I'm tempted to try a 50-50 mix of bleach and water... will that hurt anything? I would be flushing the whole interior of the boat out (with a hose) soon after anyways...?? And the color is white anyhow...

You can also try a liquid cleaner - "Greased Lightning", "Krud Cutter" and a number or others. "Wally World" or your local auto store has all the stuff. Most of the result is to get whatever product you use to stay on the stain for a while. Spray and watch it run off usually doesn't work real well. If you really, really get serious you can always make a paste of lacquar thinner and plaster of paris. Put it on the stain - it works by pulling the stain substance out of the base material. Before you try it on any big scale try it on something that doesn't stick out. Good Luck! If it's on a vertical surface make a dam of duct tape - it holds the paste right on the stain.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

Thats a neat trick... I'll give it a shot if one of the spray products doesn't come through.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

I don't believe bleach will hurt. The charter captains at Lake O often use it on their boats. I dont think I would mix it with some water or better yet they sell it In a spray bottle Clorox Clean Up at Walmart. Wife uses it in the kitchen. Try that to start maybe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

Slipknot, this might sound a little crazy but you could also try some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mixed into a paste that works pretty good on tough stains in the shop (oil, etc.) old frenchman trick my grandpa taught me Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines Dave!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

Thanks guys...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

One thing tyhat will take off almost any stain is Whitewall or White Letter cleaner. Any brand, pick it up at your automotive jobber. I have used it on seats, floors, even tires!!!! Caution, you should spot test it and if used on a seat be sure to pu5t some armorall or something on it after. Don't breathe the fumes.
later
Throbbin Rods

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to clean the boat...

Proline...

No harm in diluting the chlorine (bleach) in water. It is perfectly safe to do. We use it in the lab all the time at 10% concentration for use as a fungicide and bactericide.

Diluted chlorine will help to disinfect the boat and lift some ground in dirt, but most likely won't lift any stains.

Craig, try using hydrogen peroxide. You should be able to find that in good supply at any pharmacy or department store. 30% solutions work great, but I don't know if you can get it over the counter or not. Hydrogen peroxide really works great for oxidizing carbon/hydrogen based stains and lifting them right out. Best of all... it is color safe!

If it is an original floor and doesn't have any new paint over it then get some acetone it is mean and will not hurt a cured gel coat. if that doesn't take it off it isn't coming off. get it in paint department at home depot.

I like it! Looks like the original floor... I'll test it in a hidden spot first though. Didn't even give acetone a thought... I've used it on other things in the past and you're right... if it doesn't come off with that, its not coming off. Thanks... I'll try tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll have to pull the rubber matting out first...lol... unless I want a big mushy mess back there...