Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam report

5/07/06 Strong NW wind at the start, weatherman was wrong again, wicked chop and white caps as soon as we hit Church Island.

Water temperature at the start 51 degrees on surface, same at 16’, got up to 54 degrees.

5:45 While setting up leaving Church Island heading towards Deephaven, we noticed the missing bait pods were back as well as marking allot of big fish, first time this year, we were anticipating a good day.

6:10: 12’ on Rigger, Pink and Silver DB (home made tape job) Rainbow 19” 2.5 pounds
7:35: Boards, 1 color Pimp Spoon (don’t ask) Rainbow 18” 2 pounds
7:40 16’ Rigger, Pink And Silver DB (same as above) 21’ Salmon male, 2lbs/ 8 ounces
8:24 16’ Rigger, Pink and Silver DB 23” Salmon female, 4 pounds 12 ounces

No more hits for an hour, tried Sandwich Bay, picked up a few 12 inch Bows, (stocked fish) called it a day at 10:30, was going to try Little Squam but over 100 Bass boats in a huge tournament, left the Lake to them.

Interesting Note: Just about a year ago today we had our first hot day of fishing on Squam of the 20056 season, early ice out did not effect the Salmon from hitting same places as last year, same day allmost (May 5th) I think the Smelt Spawn occurred approximately the same week as last year and they went back to deeper waters about the same time, and like they say, "find the bait, find the fish".

Side note: Exit 23 off 93 is busy as hell every weekend morning for about 4:00 AM on, most people don't know who the hell we are as we don't haul a boat, even if we did we don't have a name on her.

So I'm standing at the register and this guys say's "we're trying your Lake today" I asked his name and it was "Lakertaker" We met again on the Lake, of course I have no radio, yet (how long have I been saying that) Last week Matty was shouting for me, of course again no radio, this week for sure.

I'll let Laker taker give his own report, nice bumping into you.

John S.

Re: Squam report

Way to go John!! Some nice fish. You should market the "pimp" spoon.

Re: Re: Squam report

Actually the "Pimp Spoon" comes in several versions, I never know which is which, aything taped up by Thy, the Cambidian kid that fishes with me, a "Pimp Spoon", one requirement is it has to have a minimum of 7 colors.

I'm going to try and have a few photos posted here later today.

As far as Squam goes, I hope it stays good now, I don't mind an occaisional skunk. I had my hard working son David with me, who really needs R and R, he caught teh biggest Salmon and Rainbow as well. Funny how fish know wat to do, when and where.

Sounds like you guys all had a fun day too.

I think I'm going to buy a radio today, one with 5000 watts of power so I can talk to you guys when I'm fishing squam.

John S.
John S.

Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Boy I see a few typos I my last post, oh well.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

IT'S THE BANANA OIL ON YOUR KEYBOARD LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I bought a radio today, the salesman said I would never be able to reach Winni from Squam. So I couldn't justify buying a hard wired unit with an 8' antenna, instead I boyght the best hand held they had.

He said if that don't work for Squam only, bring it back, but he was confident it would, this one has 6 full watts vs 5 for some reason ?????????

Besides, sure as the day is long, I would forget to put an 8' antenna down and tear it off under the channel bridge.

If I buy another cell phone, I'll use that to call guys on Winni. My the way, my back up Nextel sh-- the bed today, or the charger is NG, would you believe it ??? Was nice and quite today.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Hey Laker Taker,

**** banana oil on the key board, more typos again in my last message, how do you get that **** stuff off ????

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Hey John, Adrien says the only cure for banana oil is thirteen swipes of a black cats tail... hehe
Sounds like you're having some GREAT luck lately, huh??? Maybe you should mail me that handheld so you don't lose it? LOL
I'm creating a new checklist for my next fishing list... let me know if I missed anything...
Pink/silver db... 13 bananas... size 6 streamer tied with black cat fur... extra 8' antenna (in case I break another/sorry to whoever was driving behind me)... one big mo fo PIMP SPOON... oh, and I suppose I should get a CLUE as to how to land a fish LOL
One of these days I (as in me/owner of my boat) will get to actually land a fish on my boat! I've been letting everyone on board have the first chance at fish, figuring I didn't deserve one until they all got one... well I'm starting to regret this decision. Maybe if I go alone I'll get one??? Either that or I'll fall overboard and watch my boat as it cruises away toward 5 Mile... yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what would happen.
Geez, I just thought of something I forgot on my checklist... beans... lots of beans... oh, and jumbo shrimp. No nevermind the last one, that's only on the Peggy C!!!
It must be getting late... I'm getting weird.
Good night... and good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I think you have everything on your list.

Maybe I can get you to come to Squam with your boat, follow me around and we can check out my handheld radio and I'll show you a bit about the trecherous Lake. I'm going up tomorrow, Wednesday, I think.

I'm getting a couple of more cell phones today, actually 1 for me and 1 for my wife. I'm adding them to my Nextel account (15 phones) and getting a good deal overall, allot better than Verizon and it actually helps my busines account.

Saying goodbye to Verizon, they wanted full retail for a new phone unless I re-upped both mine and my wifes for 2 more years, no thanks.. I'll be a one phone guy for the first time in allot of years. same number I hope, 508-277-8899.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Don't feel bad slipknot, the last couple times out it's been my buddy Rob that's caught the Salmon, I've caught the little laker and the 2 ugly smallmouths LOL Maybe i should become a "Bassman" LOL "Not" I like eating salmon to much LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines Dave!!