Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: otter boards

Planer boards from what I can see can be a pain in the a--, but worth it. Too much wind, too little, too slow, turns, etc. you really have to keep your eyes on them some days, but they do produce in the Spring.

We used them late in mid-August with about 270 feet total line out, 5 colors and the rest mono, terrific results, flies and spoons..

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

well ive got an easy troller ordered, change jar set up for a kicker, and now im looking at my big planer board. almost all the salmon, and all the lakers ive caught this year on sebago have been off the planer beween 5;30 and 7 in the morning. days have been slow while mornings great. are the otters worth the upgrade, keep up to pace with a turning boat and work better during a chop than the planer.sometimes with the wind spinning the boat, the planer is just on the wrong side of where its supposed to be : )

Re: Re: otter boards

the last 2 weekends ive been running a three color setup with 20 pound test mono backing. adjusting the depth by changing how much backing off the planer with good results. my boat has a high lobster style roof line that catches the tiniest amt of wind. its great for s turns as you cant make it go straight if there is any wind. ive only seen the otter boards on one boat and he didnt have them far out, couldnt get an idea on their performance