Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

Thanks guys, i have an 8' whip now, do you know the name and model of the one you have?
Whip
Dave, have a great day with Rick John and company. The boats nicely set-up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

Iwas in West marine the other day and they told me the reception was line of site and that if an island or some other obstruction is in front of you, your reception would be affected. I am confused because i read on some threads here that some are getting reception over 10 miles. I have an 8' Shakespear on a hardtop and I don't seem to pick much up. It was installed last year by a pro. Is the salesperson at West Marine right or are they mis informed? I would love to get better reception. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

it is line of sight but we seem to be able to shoot through islands pretty well even shoots right through rattlesnake for me.

Don't know what to tell you... I get more than "line of sight" with mine... look at a map and see all the land and islands between Center Harbor bay and anywhere else on the lake. I talk from there to meredith Bay, Wolfboro Bay and if I'm by 3 mile I can hear conversations down by the Alton end of the lake... My antenna is pretty cheap in comparison to others... but placed on my hard top (total of about 16' off the water) it works great???
I installed my own and attached the connector myself... its not a soldered connecter either... and it is fine. If I could do it, any one could!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

thanks
maybe it is my freinds radio he has 3' antena on a center consol. next time I am on the lake I will try to reach someone from this site.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

Just go to channel 12 and say... "Is anyone from FishLakeWinni out there?" and I'm sure you'll get a response. Even on a day like today, I did. Good luck

Your best situation is having an 8’ antenna that is mounted as high as practical. VHF radio communications in the open sea is line of sight, in a place like Winni signals are line of sight, bounced by structures and absorbed by foliage, communications can be unpredictable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VHF antenna question

Thanks for all the helpful info. Looking foward to calling out next time on winni