Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Some pictures from the DERBY!

Well come on, we're all waiting to hear the "fish story" right from the horses mouth, I'm giving ya a break, I could have said horses a--.

Not sure I wil get out at all this week, the bridge is too low (or water too high) to get under it. Lake came up 3" more inches last night due to the weekends rain, the channel is allmost white water they are letting it out so fast.

Funny thing is I have been talking quite a bit with the guy in charge of the dams, etc. lately and he was saying "his a-- would be grass and powers to be would be the lawnmower", if he didn't have the lake level up by Memorial Day, now he's got just the opposite problem, but this one he can control a little better.

I'm sure it will be OK by the long weekend so I guess I'll have to work this week. You guys must have an ourtrageous/crazy week ahead getting ready for the big planting weekend.. Hope you have a great weekend so you can pay for the new YOAdrien, she's done her job well so far..

John S.

Re: Re: Some pictures from the DERBY!

By the way I forgot, as usual, "great photos", especially the "hook in the mouth shot", super photo.

Popeye pulled Sampson in the Derby, he forgot to tell everyone he lost his net overboard. He was interested in the one I was selling last week, but said "to go ahead and sell it to Slipknot, I'll be all set I guess", wrong.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Some pictures from the DERBY!

Real mem don't use nets!!! LOL....Yea, it broke off the side of the boat on my way out Sunday. What fun that was, in the wind, solo, and TRYING to "fling" them up into the back of the boat. John, I also lost my hat on the first set up at 440 Sunday morning! It just flew off the head and out of the boat, and by the time I broke off the 3 pounder giving him the "fling" ( or maybe it was a 6 pounder!!) I had no clue where it was!! I surely had a "bad hair" day!!
I don't think I told you about the electric rigger that hung and broke out of the cannon mount and went over the side with my pole in it in 65 feet of water with it down 18 feet!! Luck would be with me on that one as I looked over the side and there it was still tied down to the cleat, with the pole in the pole holder, underwater!!! Yes, I had a case of the Sampsons this weekend!!! I even lost plenty of fish!
It was fun talking to all of you when I could get to the radio. I even enjoyed Throbbin Rods conversations on the radio......LOL!!!!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some pictures from the DERBY!

It was good talking with you as well, I didn't realize you were doing it solo, would have loved to fish with you and learn how to fish with "Live". You still owe me a fishing lesson, maybe on my Lake when the water goes down enough to get on the Big Lake..

I guess when it's all said and done, as long as we had fun and we can laugh at problems we have had after the fact, all is well.

I really haven't lost much gear at all this year, yet, only one hat, but the real hunt has yet to begin for me, I'm waiting for them to go down. We did find one "lost" Salmon Sunday when, just for the "Halibut", we put one down to 42'.

John s.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Real mem don't use nets!!! LOL....Yea, it broke off the side of the boat on my way out Sunday. What fun that was, in the wind, solo, and TRYING to "fling" them up into the back of the boat. John, I also lost my hat on the first set up at 440 Sunday morning! It just flew off the head and out of the boat, and by the time I broke off the 3 pounder giving him the "fling" ( or maybe it was a 6 pounder!!) I had no clue where it was!! I surely had a "bad hair" day!!
I don't think I told you about the electric rigger that hung and broke out of the cannon mount and went over the side with my pole in it in 65 feet of water with it down 18 feet!! Luck would be with me on that one as I looked over the side and there it was still tied down to the cleat, with the pole in the pole holder, underwater!!! Yes, I had a case of the Sampsons this weekend!!! I even lost plenty of fish!
It was fun talking to all of you when I could get to the radio. I even enjoyed Throbbin Rods conversations on the radio......LOL!!!!!

Popeye

Re: Some pictures from the DERBY!

We had a good derby this year i got to fish with my dad like usual but we also brought our friend Ed Kelleher who has been coming to the derby with us for a few years now, and my Brother Don was here so he came too he just got back from Key west where he had been guiding for the past 2 months and he is getting redy to head back to the lodge in Maine. We got a very exciting invitation from Throbbing Rods and Friends to share their camp with them i was thrilled and we stayed in a great place with some great people. Thanks a million Bill!!

I have a theory that the big fish are going to come on live bait so when the derby rolls around i fill up my coolers with smelt and put the hardware away, yes, I even put Monica Lewinsky and Kenny G away as much as it hurts to do. I bought 9 dozen smelt and we trolled them with single hooks in the lips or 2 hook sliding bait rigs. SLOW!

We had a few on the riggers and a couple with leadcore and a couple on top with nothing.

Around noon on Friday one of the rods that was on top with 100 feet of leader and a half of a color of lead core started to twitch. My brother saw it first and hit the freespool button and the fish started to take line. It was eddie's turn so he waited a few seconds for the fish to eat then slowly lifted the rod, engaged the reel and crossed that pigs eyes! Now it was on like donkey kong that mud - puppy headed downtown and by the time he slowed there were about 7 colors in the water. At this time i said on the radio to i believe Travis at the time that "hey guys i just hooked the derby fish give me a minute and i will let you know when we lose it" 25 or 30 minutes went by with me at the back of the boat reeling in all the other lines and putting the kicker in reverse and trying to back down on the bad boy. the wind was too strong to really back down so all i did was slow our drift. we hooked up beside ship island and by the time we boated him we were almost in west alton Marina!!! I could hear people on the radio calling asking what was going on but i wasn't leaving the back of the boat. Sampson and Slipknot wanted to know what the heck i was doing because they could see us but i couldn't answer. We got it close and the rod was really throbbing and i thought for sure it was a crazy salmon and all the while my dad kept saying it was a laker but the rod was pumping so quickly i was not so sure. come to notice soon after the fish wasn't doing it, it was eddie shaking like a leaf and that was the action on the rod. anyways we didn't know until the last minute what it was until we saw this big gold blob like a big codfish coming up and my brother don slipped the net under him and flopped it on the deck my dad said oh my god that's 11 pounds and i said no way it is like 8 and then we put the scale on it and it said 11 and when we got to weirs it was 11.00 exactly. Travis' phone was all goofy and he kept calling me but i couldn't hear him so he thought i was kidding about the whole thing and it took some convincing when i finally got him that it was not a joke. I will say waiting 48 hours to see if your catch will stand up til' the end is a bit un-nerving but exciting at the same time.

Over the whole derby we got 25-30 salmon and lakers about 9 salmon were big enough to enter but we only entered 1 that was 3.28lbs. that won my dad a net on sunday which we donated to eddie for his new boat. All in all a great time had by all.

Oh yeah and in case i forgot to say it was a salmon rig with a single size 10 hook and 4 lb test line!!!

A little earlier you had a huge cluster----, when we saw you guys all at the back of the boat and no answer we figured you might have had another C.F. when no reply came we just waited to hear back from you and what great news we got.

Again, sounds like a good team effort, but what the hell did you have in mind when looking for a "Derby winner" to fish with 4 pound leader.

I might add I busted his cookies a little because he was having a slow start and suggested he go to hardware, but he said "he was sticking to his plan no matter what", I'm sure glad he did.

Ed must have had a kitten when he found out hge was fighting the fish on 4 lb test, I know I would have lost it then for sure.

By the way Adrien, how did you like my new fishing partner Sam, I can see if Sam wants to come out with us some day ????

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

We had a good derby this year i got to fish with my dad like usual but we also brought our friend Ed Kelleher who has been coming to the derby with us for a few years now, and my Brother Don was here so he came too he just got back from Key west where he had been guiding for the past 2 months and he is getting redy to head back to the lodge in Maine. We got a very exciting invitation from Throbbing Rods and Friends to share their camp with them i was thrilled and we stayed in a great place with some great people. Thanks a million Bill!!

I have a theory that the big fish are going to come on live bait so when the derby rolls around i fill up my coolers with smelt and put the hardware away, yes, I even put Monica Lewinsky and Kenny G away as much as it hurts to do. I bought 9 dozen smelt and we trolled them with single hooks in the lips or 2 hook sliding bait rigs. SLOW!

We had a few on the riggers and a couple with leadcore and a couple on top with nothing.

Around noon on Friday one of the rods that was on top with 100 feet of leader and a half of a color of lead core started to twitch. My brother saw it first and hit the freespool button and the fish started to take line. It was eddie's turn so he waited a few seconds for the fish to eat then slowly lifted the rod, engaged the reel and crossed that pigs eyes! Now it was on like donkey kong that mud - puppy headed downtown and by the time he slowed there were about 7 colors in the water. At this time i said on the radio to i believe Travis at the time that "hey guys i just hooked the derby fish give me a minute and i will let you know when we lose it" 25 or 30 minutes went by with me at the back of the boat reeling in all the other lines and putting the kicker in reverse and trying to back down on the bad boy. the wind was too strong to really back down so all i did was slow our drift. we hooked up beside ship island and by the time we boated him we were almost in west alton Marina!!! I could hear people on the radio calling asking what was going on but i wasn't leaving the back of the boat. Sampson and Slipknot wanted to know what the heck i was doing because they could see us but i couldn't answer. We got it close and the rod was really throbbing and i thought for sure it was a crazy salmon and all the while my dad kept saying it was a laker but the rod was pumping so quickly i was not so sure. come to notice soon after the fish wasn't doing it, it was eddie shaking like a leaf and that was the action on the rod. anyways we didn't know until the last minute what it was until we saw this big gold blob like a big codfish coming up and my brother don slipped the net under him and flopped it on the deck my dad said oh my god that's 11 pounds and i said no way it is like 8 and then we put the scale on it and it said 11 and when we got to weirs it was 11.00 exactly. Travis' phone was all goofy and he kept calling me but i couldn't hear him so he thought i was kidding about the whole thing and it took some convincing when i finally got him that it was not a joke. I will say waiting 48 hours to see if your catch will stand up til' the end is a bit un-nerving but exciting at the same time.

Over the whole derby we got 25-30 salmon and lakers about 9 salmon were big enough to enter but we only entered 1 that was 3.28lbs. that won my dad a net on sunday which we donated to eddie for his new boat. All in all a great time had by all.