Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tandem flies

I'm a rookie, but have caught my only fish this year on them. I have them 18" behind a dodger on leadcore. Speed has been 1.9 - 2.5 and anywhere between 2 and 4 colors. I also have dipped the head in attractant and coated the dodger with it as well. From what I have learned so far, you have to target either salmon or lakers. Can't go for both at the same speed.

Hope this helps.

Re: tandem flies

I have great luck with streamers, but not necessarily tandems. It depends on the day / time of year whether you want to go with a single hook streamer or a larger/longer tandem hook streamer. Generally I have better luck with single hook streamers in sizes #4 and #6. I've had success fishing them with lead core, sinking fly line, and off the downriggers. I generally do not use a dodger/flasher unless absolutely nothing else is working as I like fighting the fish with a less metal in-line as possible. Generally haven't had great luck with them either...not sure why. I experiment on speed and have run them anywhere from 1.5 to 3 MPH but generally start out at 2.5 MPH or so. Of course adjusting speeding and doing S curves is always a good idea (or a jigging machine).

Re: Re: tandem flies

We sometimes pull streamers but I like single hook better early in the season. Size most times relate to the size of bait fish.

Re: Re: Re: tandem flies

on leadcore, my favorite set up is a meduium/large dodger 15 inches to a fly........always get at least a fish in a 3 hr trip. been using this combo for 20 years.