Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beginner needs info on Trolling for Lake Trout

Hi Everyone,
This is the year I would like to dedicate myself to learning how to troll for Lake Trout on Lake Winni.
I have done a little in the past, but with little success. I seem to spend most of my time unsnagging my downrigger balls or my lures from the bottom of the lake.
I have heard that some fisherman will tie a Dave Davis rig directly to their downrigger balls and then run a bait about ten feet behind them. I have also heard a little bit about vertical jig fishing for forktails.
How many feet will lake trout come up off the bottom to take a bait or a lure?
Any information you would care to share would be greatly appreciated.
Sagging Scales to all,
The Curious Carp

Re: Beginner needs info on Trolling for Lake Trout

Hi Curious,
In my experience, I have taken lakers at all depths - top, mid water, and bottom. This time of year I do well early and late at 15' or 3-4 colors leadcore over fairly deep water (50'-90'). Large tandem flies and very "busy" spoons such as the #44 Sutton produce the best for me. Remember to troll very slow (1.2-1.5 mph). During mid day, I use a Dave Davis rig off my cannon ball and keep my lure about a foot above and 3' behind the rig using a stacker or Roemer release. Fish deeper during the day (40' - 80') and concentrate on schools of bait near drop offs. I try to keep my offering within 5' of bottom if possible. During calm days I like to jig with a 1 oz. bucktail and piece of cutbait. Again, fish the drop offs. Good Luck!

Re: Beginner needs info on Trolling for Lake Trout

I don't pretend to know much about trolling for lakers... but I do believe that snagging bottom now and then is pretty much inevitable. Unless you find those spots that are fairly level or are all sand, you're gonna lose some gear if you drag for lakers a lot.
A lot of the guys that troll right on bottom use leadcore (lots of it- like 8-10 colors) going real slow and they use live bait... Cost wise, I'd rather replace a single/treble hook rig and a shiner than $5 lures.
If you feel the need to drag with downrigger balls, I would think the pancake weights would snag less often??? Or maybe put your rigger ball close to bottom and run a color of lead off that to make up the difference... that would keep you from losing rigger balls and maybe the downrigger itself if it hooks too tight and you can't cut the cable in time.
Just my thoughts... I'm sure you'll get a better answer from someone else.
Have fun