Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trip Report Lake Champlain

Got a late start,3hr drive, put in at 9am. By 10am the fish and game stopped us to check us out, nice guy, gave us some tips on where to fish. We were marking fish from 45 to 60 ft, and tryed everything in the box with no luck. Tryed it all db,top guns, sutton spoons, behind the ball, way back, but no strikes. Took the boat out at 4pm and went to the hotel and a good meal.
Saturday woke up to rain and fog so thick you couldn't see across the parking lot. Put in at 7am in the fog and putted around the area for about 1hr before the wind picked up and lifted the fog out. But the wind really kept up to the point now we had 3 to 31/2 foot waves.We motored over to the lee side of a point that was calm and fished till about 2pm with no luck. Now the wind dropped off to 6in waves so we could get out on the lake. Started using some lake Ontario lures and came up to 35ft and bang got a 20 in salmon at 2lb 11 oz. He was feeding on Lampry lave 1/8 in long he kept spitting them up still wiggling. took the boat out at 4pm mother needed food.
Sunday we were joined by our son Glen (apple farmer) who lives in VT at 6am and the day was flat calm and sunny. We started to monitor channel 68 as that was where all the talk was. The locals were hammering them from 10 to 25 ft down and back from 35 to 100ft. Lures were watermelon, clown, green and white, blue and white stuff I didn't try. Jump on the wagon boys if it works for them try it. Also speed was 2.5 to 2.9 mph I was to slow at 1.8 to 2.2. Change my setup to 2 down riggers 20 ft down and 60 to 90 ft back and 2 dipsy divers down 15 ft with smaller lures, my own pimp spoons ( sutton spoons copper one side with gold glitter, black spots, red eye topped with clear coat) See pictures. Started hitting fish right away, but now instead of your side my side we went 1,2,3 and guess who canght the best fish, ya Ruthie 25in 5lb 14 oz laker go figure. Pimp spoons worked well but mostly shorts ( throw backs ) Had a great time took home two lakers and two salmon to eat.
Fished with our son and had a great weekend caught fish and had a safe trip, what more could one ask for. Took the boat out at 230 for the trip home.I will try to post the pictures, hope it works.
Ernie Ruth Glen

Re: Trip Report Lake Champlain

Great report E. R. C. Headed up Sat. will start with stuff u mention. Hope to get a walleye. Best eating. Sometimes we do well others not so good. But luv boating! Post report when return. Remember check your knots & save room for cheese cake. w-fat

Re: Re: Trip Report Lake Champlain

Champ tips:

red/brass chevy chase, 10-30 down for the salmon, sutton peckerhead right on the bottom.(never got anything less than a limit on the peckerhead) Lewis creek to Otter creek.(and to the 3 amigos) Good walleyes off the cliffs out of Lewis creek. White glow chevy chase...purple/brass chevy chase. Done up the wallies there 6-9 lbs. Will be doing the LCI in the same spot.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Trip Report Lake Champlain

Thanks for the tips popeye,Ijust got back on line with this site I was locked out for 5 days.