Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: trolling plates

Forget the trolling plate, because you will...and you will take off and bend it. Bend it back, forget it again, bend it back and snap!!!
Go with trolling bags...this is what the guys in the great lakes use. Look for bags made by amish outfitters, I think Jay has them at Paugus Bay sporting goods.

Re: Re: Re: trolling plates

Buy a GOOD plate and have no worries about breaking... I have tested mine at full throttle and it does not break, it simply swings out of the way at mid point... But, for slightly more money than I paid for that plate one could buy a remote speed controller for a kicker motor...
At a slow speed of 1.7-1.8 I have heard that the bags don't stay deployed...(Great Lakes trollers go faster) In winds and a stiff chop they fold up... bringing in a big fish beside the boat presents something else to tangle on...
I guess there are pluses and minuses to everything...LOL

I agree. Go with the bags. Run one on each side of the boat so it is balanced. Been running them with my I/O for years (since 97) on the same set. Another new boat for you! Didnt you just get one a couple years ago?

Re: trolling plates

The best trolling plate out there is the "Easy Troller" sold by Cabellas and others on the internet and it goes for a little over $100.00. It is stainless steel and aluminum, has no pins to break and if you forget to put it up it WILL NOT BREAK, it has a hinge that folds up. Easy to install (drill 4 1/4" holes) and slowed my boat down from a minimum of 2.2 mph to a half mph measured on my GPS. It works great. Good luck!

Re: Re: trolling plates

Yes proline, I did get a new boat 3 years ago. lol!!. But since then I had my son who is now 2.5 years old. The last boat had low sides and he proved to my wife and and I that in a blink of an eye he could be standing on top of the walls of the boat. Sooo, my WIFE said we need a deeper boat.(You always have to listen to your wife:) So we started looking and found the starcraft islander that is twice as wide and more important twice as deep as my last boat. Plus it has a cuddy with power for his portable dvd player and a porta potti. A nice family boat. Plus great fishing rig for me!! The reason I'm wondering about a trolling plate is I'm afraid with all my electronics plus with 4 electric downriggers I would kill the battery in no time just running the kicker. plus when I fish lake ontario it makes life alot easier running the big motor with the wind and currents. Unless you guys have better suggestions. I do have throttle control for my kicker.

Well good luck with the new boat. I think you will like it better as it will handle bigger water. The cuddy is great for the kids. Mine used to sleep in it when I fished. One of the reasons I got one. Also a great place to store your gear. Good luck with the electronics. Do you have 2 batteries in the boat that you can alternate to charge off the big motor? I don't have much experience with the trolling plate but like Brad (Nemisis) said the bags are what all the Lake O captains use. Gotta be a reason. You could go onto www.glangler.com and go into the "Lets talk salmon fishing" board and do a search on past posts to get feedback or put out a new post. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling plates

I had the same problem that you are trying to avoid. I had a 75 Merc. and 5 Merc. kicker. I installed an alternator in the 5 kicker to charge the battery while trolling; it was an accessory of the kicker and was sufficient to keep the battery up. Also installed a volt meter that gave me the state of charge of the battery, the volt meter was one that reads from about 8 to 16 volts from West Marine. My present setup is 15 hp 4 stroke electric kicker and it keeps the batteries charged.

Re: trolling plates

Check out my post this page from may 30th on trolling bags, this is based on a 19ft islander I own.Just an FYI.

Ernie