Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: trolling plates

I agree. Go with the bags. Run one on each side of the boat so it is balanced. Been running them with my I/O for years (since 97) on the same set. Another new boat for you! Didnt you just get one a couple years ago?

Re: trolling plates

The best trolling plate out there is the "Easy Troller" sold by Cabellas and others on the internet and it goes for a little over $100.00. It is stainless steel and aluminum, has no pins to break and if you forget to put it up it WILL NOT BREAK, it has a hinge that folds up. Easy to install (drill 4 1/4" holes) and slowed my boat down from a minimum of 2.2 mph to a half mph measured on my GPS. It works great. Good luck!

Re: Re: trolling plates

Yes proline, I did get a new boat 3 years ago. lol!!. But since then I had my son who is now 2.5 years old. The last boat had low sides and he proved to my wife and and I that in a blink of an eye he could be standing on top of the walls of the boat. Sooo, my WIFE said we need a deeper boat.(You always have to listen to your wife:) So we started looking and found the starcraft islander that is twice as wide and more important twice as deep as my last boat. Plus it has a cuddy with power for his portable dvd player and a porta potti. A nice family boat. Plus great fishing rig for me!! The reason I'm wondering about a trolling plate is I'm afraid with all my electronics plus with 4 electric downriggers I would kill the battery in no time just running the kicker. plus when I fish lake ontario it makes life alot easier running the big motor with the wind and currents. Unless you guys have better suggestions. I do have throttle control for my kicker.

Re: Re: Re: trolling plates

Well good luck with the new boat. I think you will like it better as it will handle bigger water. The cuddy is great for the kids. Mine used to sleep in it when I fished. One of the reasons I got one. Also a great place to store your gear. Good luck with the electronics. Do you have 2 batteries in the boat that you can alternate to charge off the big motor? I don't have much experience with the trolling plate but like Brad (Nemisis) said the bags are what all the Lake O captains use. Gotta be a reason. You could go onto www.glangler.com and go into the "Lets talk salmon fishing" board and do a search on past posts to get feedback or put out a new post. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling plates

I had the same problem that you are trying to avoid. I had a 75 Merc. and 5 Merc. kicker. I installed an alternator in the 5 kicker to charge the battery while trolling; it was an accessory of the kicker and was sufficient to keep the battery up. Also installed a volt meter that gave me the state of charge of the battery, the volt meter was one that reads from about 8 to 16 volts from West Marine. My present setup is 15 hp 4 stroke electric kicker and it keeps the batteries charged.

Re: trolling plates

Check out my post this page from may 30th on trolling bags, this is based on a 19ft islander I own.Just an FYI.

Ernie