Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday Evening

Saturday afternoon I made it up to the lake for the first time this season. I fished from 4:00 until legal quitting time. I started from Center Harbor, fished both sides of Three Mile Island, and all the way down to Sandy Island and then most of the way back to Three Mile.

I caught one 21" salmon at 8:15 on the east side of the hump between Sandy Island and Jolly Island. I think the fish was ill or otherwise in poor condition. It didn't fight like a salmon. It probably weighed two pounds or just a little over. It looked more like a pickerel than a healthy salmon. I turned it loose as I wasn't going to eat it and I don't have a cat.

I was fishing lead core, six colors, with a "wonderbread" DB that I bought at AJ's in Meredith earlier in the afternoon. I was also dragging an orange New Hampshire Guide with black dots on five colors of lead. I didn't get any other fish, or even any strikes.

According to my fish finder, the fish were hanging around rocky ledges from 40 to 60 feet. The steeper the ledge and the deeper the dropoff, the more fish appeared to be hanging out. I saw more fish around Sandy Island than I saw from going from Center Harbor to Steamboat Island. I saw virtually nothing where the bottom was flat sand or what appeared to be weeds. I didn't see anything hanging out in the 80 to 100 foot water.

Good luck to anyone going out later today. I hope you find some hungry fish. I am too pooped to head back to the lake today. Maybe next weekend.

Tight lines. FishEye

Re: Saturday Evening

Pretty tough fishing with only two lines... doesn't give much room for experimentation. Makes it so much easier when you can run more depths and lure choices until you can figure out what colors they're hitting and depth they're feeding at.
Seen several of those "pickerel" salmon this year. Did yours seem darker in color than normal??? The unhealthy looking ones we've caught have also been darker body-wise. Odd.

Re: Re: Saturday Evening

Fishing with two lines is rough. Even rougher is keeping the boat going in a relatively straight line while landing a fish.

Yesterday was a beatiful day to be out on the water. I guess I was more into enjoying the lake than changing depths and swapping lures. There were very few boats on the lake yesterday. The few pleasure boaters that were on the lake were very well mannered.

At the time I caught the fish, the sun was pretty well down and clouds were fairly heavy. I had the impression that the salmon's back was darker colored than normal but the silver sides and belly were as bright as a normal salmon.

Thinking about it overnight, I now wonder if some new parasite is in the lake. That fish just didn't have the enthuesiasm of a normal salmon. It didn't try to run until it got right up to the boat. Even then the two attempts to run were not very energetic. While I was reeling it in, I expected to find something like a 12 inch bass on the lure. I was actually surprised when it got up to the boat and rolled sideways so I could see the silver belly and the length of the fish.

I did take a good look at the fish, as best I could in the twilight. I did not see any evidence of a previous injury. I didn't notice which fin was clipped.

Re: Re: Re: Saturday Evening

they say some just don't recover from the fin clipping... ? Who knows, could be a bunch of things. I doubt its a parasite... as I think we'd see many more affected? At least I HOPE its nothing like that!