Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big fish bites my 8in salmon!

OK, I had the day off and I almost went striper fishing but after catching an 18lbs and some other nice fish I decided to let my friend catch up in that department! Sorry Togue had bust them! SO, i went up to winni! Wicked hazy! So I had one line out on a rigger and the other one was lead core. About 20min into trolling i heard my drag tit tit tit...I grabbed the rod and nothing there..So I put my rod back into the holder..10min later tit..tit.. Again nothing..Both times I didn't reel my line in because i could feel anything on the rod..then 20min later my drag tit tit tit...and it kept going...I picked up the rod and it felt like I had a hooked onto bottom. But I was in 80ft of water and only 30 ft down. Then when I went to set my drag tighter it was gone.. I reeled in my spoon to find a 8in salmon that looked beat up...SO salmon the new bait for large lake trout! I'll be out there next week with suckers!
other than that just some small salmon to report and some bass. Saw lots of rings all morning...
Dan

Re: Big fish bites my 8in salmon!

Hey, I was the guy out next to you, you told me that story as i went by...3 of us in the 24 ft grady white??

anyhow, we were out from 430 to 930...In 40 years, i have never seen as many fish jumping out of the lake catching black flies....some of the fish actually hit the side of my boat while airborn...i kid you not! many of the fish were airborn enough for unofficial identification....many of them i believe to be small/mid sze lake trout...one in particular, i estimated to be 3 feet in length, we had more fun watching the fish do acrobats than we did fishing....
ps, 2 lakers, 2 salmon, all under size....but one heck of a monday morning on the h2o.

Re: Re: Big fish bites my 8in salmon!

Yeah, I did see alot of fish on the surface.. Figures the day i didn't bring my fly rod...
Dan