Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I might add, if we spent half the time spent fishing for Salmon targetting Lakers instead, we would be catching more Lakers (and big ones too) to take the sting off a skunk.

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU FISHED 6 OR 7 HOURS SPECIFICALY FOR LAKERS ON SQUAM ?????? SALMON WE DO IT ALL THE TIME, IN SPITE OF THE SKUNKS.

Not sure we will target Lakers this weekend as fishing time will be limited, that being said, Salmon will of course be our priority, if they don't bite we will come off the Lake and try again Sunday. Will be up most of early July to experiment more on Lakers, and look for my 7 pound Salmon, a fat 6 will do for now.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Getting skunked is part of the fish puzzle. Its going to happen, sooner or later, on every lake you fish. You can always catch green fish, but we target the blue backs, which can be as finicky as rainbow in April.
As you know, I have been going to Ontario since Christ was a private (83). in 86, I went up for a week in April, spent 4 full days on the water with 4 lines, and only caught a clam! In 87 we went back, and brought home over 70 browns/lakers/ and cohos for a full week of limits by 10am.....

You got to get one of those Squamy giants to talk to you!!! Find out what is going on, and let the rest of us know what you find out!!!! We need a Limpet!!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

As you well know, I don't get discouraged very easily, I just pout now and then and get right back at em. We do have really great days now and then, especially with the right phase of the moon.

Good luck this weekend, stay dry.

Did you ever get a net, I'm sure you must have, what did you get ???

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I've been fishing on Squam longer than most, (about 50 years) and this year has been the worst. I usually keep only 1 or two salmon per year, but this year I'm not sure I'll even catch that many.
I'm also wondering if the large kill on the Sandwich shores about 4 years ago has an impact on what we are catching (or not catching) in Squam this year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Hey Old Fisherman,
I was in on that kill off. We saw dead salmon everywhere. The ones we caught looked like toilet paper and when you held them to get the hook out your fingers sunk right into the meat!! It was like they were half cooked!
With that said, you have quit a few years on me in the land of the giants. I have had good/bad years, keep lots of records on about anything for sh#ts and giggles. Do you troll live smelt/emeralds? Have gotten a few nice ones down there this year, but nothing like mater angler Sampson. Time is on his side, and I am jellous!! Hit that pond for a few days in a row, and you got to connect with some nice fish. I have caught some small ones this year, and only one that was in the 2-3 lb class, but had another up to the boat.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I stoped in to AJs when I had to bring my first downrigger to Paugus. I looked at the rubber ones, and went with a different one. It goes out to 84" maybe? Blue, got a ruler on the side. Nice scoop for the net, love it. It was the same price at the rubber ones. When John went fishing with me to Squam he loved it so much we had to stop at AJs so he could buy one! call me Friday, don't know what the reception is like up there.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

OK, will do.

John S.