Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GPS Module not responding???

Both the GPS and Sonar need thier own power source, chances are you may have a loose connection, but more than likely you have a defective GPS module, been there meself. They will replace it but you may have to send in first, so I thought, but I talked to them this year about it and they said there was a way to get one before you send the old one in, not sure what it was ??????

I have a bad one I still haven't sent them, but I have a repair number for it, just keep forgeting.

John S.

John S.

Re: GPS Module not responding???

Both the GPS and Sonar need thier own power source, chances are you may have a loose connection, but more than likely you have a defective GPS module, been there meself. They will replace it but you may have to send in first, so I thought, but I talked to them this year about it and they said there was a way to get one before you send the old one in, not sure what it was ??????

I have a bad one I still haven't sent them, but I have a repair number for it, just keep forgeting.
John S.

Re: Re: GPS Module not responding???

Thanks John. I'll give Lowrance a call Mon. (Probably will take all day just to get through)

Re: Re: Re: GPS Module not responding???

Friday may not be bad, Monday's are a killer.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: GPS Module not responding???

did you do a hard reset on the unit?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GPS Module not responding???

I installed one this year and I remember this could be caused by power to the NMEA??2000 network cable so check the power connection to that first. Also this can be caused if you are trying to use a chip that isn't seated properly. I'm learning slowly more about these things myself.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GPS Module not responding???

Hey Salty...

I had the same issue with my Fishfinder last year.. Sent it back three times.. First it was the Modual.. Then it was the fishfinder.. I changed over to Hummingbird and haven't had any issues since.. Usually it is the Modual though.. But you do have to send it to them first.. Blows.. Best of luck..

John is correct.. you need a full voltage power source of its own.. Your downriggers can't be pulling to much juice.. the GPS will not work..

Thanks Jason

Check the wiring (Lowrance GPS Module not responding)

Salty: I had exactly the same issue last year (same error message) at first with my Lowrance LMS 337c. Die Hard is on the money -- this is probably a wiring issue with the NMEA 2000 cable -- and NOT a problem with the module itself. A lot of people assume their module is faulty when its just wired wrong. This has happened a lot in the past year as Lowrance upgraded a lot of stuff to be NMEA 2000 (network) compatible but did NOT update a lot of their installation manuals. If you or whoever wired the unit followed their "old" directions without first getting the new wiring directions for the NMEA 2000 compatible units from their web site, thats the problem. If you need help send me an e-mail and I'll send you the pdf of their NMEA wiring instructions and a link to their web page.

Needless to say, when I went back and re-wired the unit following the updated directions (took like 20 minutes but I'm real slow), it has worked like a champ ever since.

Eric Hince - echince@geovation.com

Re: Check the wiring (Lowrance GPS Module not responding)

Thanks all. I'm going away for the weekend and will work on it when I get back.

One more thing -- try a soft reboot for Lowrance

Salty: Try a soft reboot just in case its not the wiring -- sometimes a slight power surge will just scramble the software.

This soft reboot of your unit will only take a second and will not erase your waypoints:

1. turn power off
2. Hold down "pages" (first) and
3. "power" buttons (second) at the same time until the until powers up (a world or default map should come up)

After this you'll need to zoom in and/or go select your map using the menus. If the GPS appears to be working fine ("postion aquired" message appears) you'r golden. This reboot cures a lot of hiccups and does NOT erase your waypoints.

If this does not work, and its not the wiring (i.e., its wired right following the updated NMEA 2000 wiring), then you might try a hard reboot. This will wipe out your waypoints, tracks etc, so if you don't want to lose them first save your waypoints and any other custom data to a blank SD/MMC card. If you don't have a blank get one at radio shack -- get a 1GB they're only like $50 and can hold a lot of mapping data.

After saving your waypoints (or deciding you don't care), the hard reboot is as follows:

1. turn power off
2. Hold down (at the same time) "zoom in" (first);
3. "zoom out" (second); and
4. "power" buttons until the until powers up

I have fortunately not had to do the hard reboot, but I got these directions from Lowrance tech support a month ago just in case. I did have to do a soft reboot a couple times and it fixed a similar "not responding" error and another error where it stopped talking to the transducer. Both times the soft reboot was all I had to do...

Re: One more thing -- try a soft reboot for Lowrance

Thank's everyone. Had to charge up the batteries and the soft reboot that Eric H. suggested did the trick. Once again the people that visit this great message board helped me out again!

Tight lines,

Salty