Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Friday morning report

Fished a "small" lake just east of Winni this morning before and during the downpour...We did ok today but it took allot of experimenting with different colors to find what they wanted.
Fished from 5:15 to 9:00, the only boat on the lake. Water temps about 71 degrees very light breeze, GPS speed between 1.8 and 2 mph. Lot of rising fish
Fished lead only, 14lb test with 50' fluorocarbon 8 lb test leader. No riggers today.
Got a big hit putting out the first rod, NH Guide about 3 colors out, lost it after about 2 minutes, a real big rainbow.
Nailed an 18" salmon about 6:00, 4 colors on a blue/purple silver back TG.
6:30, caught about an 8" salmon, 4 colors out same lure on a retrieve for a line check.
7:30, found a bait pod about 20' down in 55 feet of water and bam, fish on. Landed a nice male salmon 23", 3.9 lbs, 4 colors out, 5th touching the rod tip, on a pearl white DB in a downpour. Never jumped, fought more like a laker until he saw the boat and off he went at least 3 times stripping line before we could land him. Bleeding, had to keep him for dinner, yum.
8:00, again same rod, same lure, same spot landed another salmon about 21" allot fatter. Until today, had never caught a thing on that lure.
Several other misses, off the lake by 9:00 in time for breakfast.
Nice start to a great day off.
Good luck,
Bob

Re: Friday morning report

I am new to Winni fishing what is a DB i am sure it is a spoon simular to a Northern King or a Big Gun

DB smelt

Eric - check out the link to AJs bait and tackle. A DB (smelt) is one type of small flutter spoon people are using out on the lakes. Most people use nothing much more than about 3" long and troll at slow speeds from less than 1 mph to 2.5 mph, which is why you need such small spoons to provide good action. Top guns, Smelt guns, Mooselooks, Sutton 61s are others. Get a NH guide DB smelt or top gun and a couple others. Get advice from Alan at AJs on other lures and how to fish them and you've got a shot.

Re: DB smelt

Probably get a better view of them on Paugus Bay web site, I don't think AJ shows them ??

http://www.nhguideservices.com/PBSGdbsmelt.html

John S.

Re: Re: DB smelt

AJ doesn't carry the DB anymore.

Re: Re: Re: DB smelt

It looks like AJs bait and tackle is offering his own versions of both the DB smelt ("smelt Gun") and now the Sutton 61 as well ("61 gun"). Also, I finally measured most of my top guns and Mooselooks and they are only in the 2 3/8 size range. Small lures for big fish!