Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report, outlook bleak mid way point of the season.

I hear ya, how did you make out, tried to call you but no service I guess ???

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Squam report, outlook bleak mid way point of the season.

Actually we started off great with Salmon and several other guys caught some reall nice fish, quite a few 5 and a few 6 pounders have been boated so far by myself and a few regulars that fish there. Popeye had a great day there too, skunked the following week with Live Smelt, then it died about 3 weeks ago it died. It still gave up a few 5 and 6 pound Salmon but single fish to those that caught them and none at all to others.

I think it's really a too much bait thing, but then again, why all of a sudden it just shut down is a mystery. And I cleaned a Laker and a Salmon today, not a smelt in either one, last year this time I was finding 6 to 10 Smelt for each fish we cleaned and they still looked for more. Plus I'm not sure how big the Smelt of this year are now, if they exist at all yet, not to smart on this stuff yet ?????????

One guy said he thinks they will eat "Smelt only" right now, even Shiners wont do. He may have a clue here because frozen Smelt have been taking big fish for a guy I know, still not many fish however, maybe 1 or 2 each trip and he was skunked today.

The fact that they are empty of any food is a good sign I guess, it indicates they are just off their feed or eating something else we can't see. If they were stuffed to the gills, like normal.

I might add, to me it seems Winni reports ae a little off from last season this time and Winni (like Squam) started off great thos year ????

Maybe it's all the rain, who knows, but I think it will work itself out soon, plenty of fish that don't seem to be eating can't last forever. Perhaps some of our residents experts will have some ideas on the matter, maybe it's normal now and then too ???????

But look at Sebago, it's on fire from what I read here ????

Good luck on Sunapee, Popeye will be gone for a while, that will have to make a diffetence, LOL.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report, outlook bleak mid way point of the season.

it may be the bugs that they are eating.the weather doesnt help at all.even though i did very well on champlain last weekend i heard regulars and locals saying that its off up there too.we had surface temps as low as 52 degrees when we left champlain on mon.I just think all the big waters are all screwed up right now to a degree they will straighten up, mother nature always corrects herself.ill be on squam thurs and fri am this week and give it hell.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report, outlook bleak mid way point of the season.

Not sure what time and when we will be up, could come up Thursday night.

I don't get discouraged to easily and most can tell, it's just the initial let down after a slow day in the Lake, which we have had many lately, next day I'm fine and rearing to get back out there. Perhaps your right, Smelt, etc. are just not the fair of the day lately. If they were stuffed with Smelt and were not biting well it would be another story, hoping they put the regular fed bag on real soon.

The Riveredge Marina Open House Saturday night was impressive, got off the Lake just in time for a beer before they closed down for the night. I guess they had over 300 guest, a catered affair, plenty of food and drinks. They had 5 or 6 really super antique boats in the showroom, brought in special for the event, nothing like you see on the Lake, real show stoppers.

A few surprises too, I didn't know Kevin M. was the G.C. did a super job, he's come a long way from when he built our place we had in Center Harbor years ago.
And I see Baker is now going to be a manager of some sort, good for him, nice to see these kids, men now, doing pretty good... Overall it looks like a very nice addition to the lake community with some really nice old style mansions (as Condos) coming on the Hill soon, everything really nice, but very, very pricey.

I'll be looking for a good fishing report Thursday night.

John S.