Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt

Good ideas as usual from the Popeye man.

Guess I'll have to buy your dead ones, lol. I use the ice packs (packaged in plastic) and/or frozen water bottles (recomended here on the board) to keep my bait alive, when I use it. With water now 75+ degrees
now it's going to be hard to keep anything alive.

Do you think Smelt of the year are big enough for the Salmon to eat now ???? I now last year when the Salmon started to gorge on themselves on the smaller Smelt, the bite slowed and we had to use smaller Spoons sizes and single hook streamers to get the bite going again and that it did.

I have not seen the HUGE smelt pods (new smelt) yet, when they start showing I mean they are huge, they read as the bottom sometimes, what we have been seeing are the reuglar Smelt I think.. Or like Dave saw them in shallow water not yet moved to the deep.

Let's someone give a decripotion of the Rainbow Smelt life cycle, how about it Professor Adrien.

Thanks,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt thanks

What a response! Thanks to all; I will have to try it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt

God Popeye your killing me. Another great simple idea I havent tried. THanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt

I have always made my own sliders, just a habit. The cut off treble came from years of misses doing single hooks, They out hit sliders 5-1.(to me) (notice I said hit) I tried just running them off a treble but they did not run right. After I cut off one of the hooks and straightend them out, they ran true, and yes they give me more hook ups.
The "school" is tons of fun when the salmon are on in the spring. Wait till you double up on the same line! Never get in 2 good ones, they always break off flying in different directions, but its a blast until they do!! The bonus is when they short hit and gobble you up, there is one more to eat and just maybe.....
And you will get more hits, and if your right on you'll put more in the boat with smelt.
Someone else has got to have tried running a school???
That along with my different color beaded line Proline is my gig with smelt. Oh, I didn't tell you about all the beads on my line that my friends think look silly.....

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt question

Popeye one quick question if you know. A couple years ago we had a debate about running sliders and cheaters like they do at Lake O and I am fairly certain (99%) someone from F&G came on said it was legal to do but if done, that would constitute the two lines your allowed to fish. If you do run the two smelt is that considered your two rods also?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling smelt question

I couldn't tell you. You can run 2 flys off a single pole. The only talk I have ever heard was on the # of hooks you can use. Good question, God, I might be an outlaw!!!!!

Popeye