Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Dumb question

Good question, but if it's not legal and works, you could put single hooks on those spoons/lures that you use for this purpose I suppose. But a very good question.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Dumb question

John - one variation on this you could try that might give you even better action is to "declaw" the lure altogether and use it like a flasher / dodger with a double barrel swivel above / below and a real short piece (3-4 in ?) of decent fluoro from the trailing split ring to the bait hook... You might get away with a slightly bigger lure - maybe a 3 incher.
-Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumb question

It is my understanding that Bait single hook is for winter Ice fishing.. That during the summer.. Single hook with no more than three hook points would be considered a treble hook.. So baiting a lure with a worm or fish is legal the way I understand the law for trolling..

Thanks Jason

Sounds good, excellent idea, I would think it has been tried by others and maybe they "aint talkin". I hope we aren't trying to re-invent the wheel here, LOL>

I see we have a few more responses, let's see what some other have to say and I'll get back to you.

John S.

Re: Dumb question

The Law Book reads:

“Hooks used for bait from ice-in to March 31 must have only a single hook point. From April 1 to ice-in, 2 hooks for bait may be used. One must be a single hook point and the other must not exceed three hook points.”

It sounds like that you can’t use a treble hook only with bait.

Ice Fishing - No Baited Trebles

Summer - everything is okay you can bait anything you want and the law reads to allow sliding bait rigs.

also in popeye's idea from before it doesn't matter how much bait you put on the hooks as long as you have 1 single and 1 other hook in close proximity in the same overall bait. if they were 10 feet apart with 2 seperate smelt technically it reads to be legal but who knows how that would be interpreted because it doesn't say they have to be in the same piece of bait or how close.

i read it that you could use 2 (cod rig) type poles if bottom fishing the summer both baited both hooks and still be legal, maybe for white perch fishing or whatever.

Re: Dumb question

i have some sparsly tied tandem streamers that work well. the ones with the upturned rear hook work better, attach the front hook to the mouth and you can add a little color to the shiner or smelt

I as a true blooded "Frenchman" have tryed many things but thats not one of them WOO Hooo thanks for the new idea John LOL of course i do use powerbait up here in the local ponds quite regularly and do pretty well. Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Donkey Dave From up North The Backwards Frenchman

Re: Re: Re: Dumb question

I took a DB smelt, removed the trebel and left the snap ring on, then tied my leader to that and a fly on the leader. Thinking this would be a mini dodger to give some action to the fly. Caught nothing but i still think its a good idea, Need to mes with the combo.
Whip

John, have you heard of the mepps bantam syclops they claim if you tip the single hook with something the action is better. They have some at paugus bay. Ive been meaning to try one as I never hear people talking much about using them. Even if you dont tip it, it may be a hot lure.