(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Hey Slipknot,

The Salisbury reservation is about 3 miles from my house. The ramp fee is $7.00 per day. A season pass is $35.00 for Mass residents and $45.00 for out of staters. The problem with the day pass is that depending who is on duty at the gate, you sometimes can't get in before 8:00 am. With a seasons pass it is 24/7 for access.
In less than 2 minutes you are on the flats, gotta love it.
Good luck out there,
Bob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Thanks... I didn't realize a seasons pass was that cheap.
Is the pass for the boat or the vehicle? Meaning, with the seasons pass can I only come in with MY boat or can I use it if I'm with a friend and using his boat sometimes?

So, do you get on the flats often? How bad are the weekends for launching right now? I'm guessing I should plan for a weekday? Been there several times with friends but I don't think I've ever launched there on a weekend now that I think of it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

The pass is for your vechicle (license plate number is on it). You hang it from your rear view mirror. They usually just wave you in when they see it hanging there. However, I don't know if they match them up when your car and trailer are parked in the lot...Week days definitely are better. Lots of yahoos on the weekend. We used to drift in and out of the river but most guys now anchor up and fish clams or chunks. Up on the flats,the guys troll, slow drift or fly fish. Night time is best, light traffic and the bite is much better. Off the flats, I like a dropping tide. On the flats, either side of the high. It is easier to drift the river at night with live eels. Daytime you can drift with live bait, if you can find it but again, allot of guys anchor up, making a good drift difficult during the day, especially on weekends. Blue fish roam just outside the mouth and sometimes inside with an east wind.
Personally, I like to drift the night time dropping tide, mid week with eels. There is nothing like the sound of feeding bass busting the surface at night all around your boat, but you can't see them. Gets your heart pumping big time!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Thanks for all the info. I've only fished right at the mouth in the past. Each time was right during a major rip... but the fish were hammering the live macs! Not a drift without a fish on each of three lines.

Really itching to get down there in my own boat. I won't try nightime myself until I know it better. Like I said, only been there with friends before, so need to get some experience first.

Again, thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Hey slipknot, Cashmans is where I put my boat in and if you get there before 8 am it's free. good boat launch. it's near Michaels which is a great place to eat after fishing. And on the way out to the flats you go under 2 bridges which hold some big stripers! And the flats are only minutes away after you pass the ice breaker..I can get you directions if you want to check it out...I'll be out there next friday..And herring and clams worked really well for me last week...But clams have been working really well for me since early june..I've gotten over 4 stripers over 12lbs including a 18pounder on them....Good luck
Dan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Thanks... how high are the bridges? I assume plenty of headroom for a hardtop and antenna???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Cashmens is $5. There are times when they don't show up but most of the time they are there. They will leave you a sticker on your rear view mirror.

Slipnot, you should call in and have them open up the bridge for you. I'll get you the number. It is 555 ha ha. Plenty of room buddy. You should see some of the monster boats coming and going from there. You will have no problems. There is a funny slow zone between the toothpick and an unknown marker (that was not there last week). The harbor master will explain if you are confused :)

The sailsbury ramp is a great option if you are going to use it enough and can get there when they are open for a seasons pass. Plus that pass is good at all mass state launches (don't quote me though). Both are good launches. Cashmens can be busy with some real idiots though trying to re-learn how to launch and load a boat. Fun to watch them sometimes.

Slipnot, you game to get out there on the flats with me? My last two trips were 100 fish and yesterday's was about 80. Keepers to 37" so far. Oh ya all on 10-12 pound line, freshwater bass tackle, and also useed my 9wt fly rod (that is insane fun). My last drift ended in about 14" of water (made that one the last as I started to see the flats above water :)

Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Oh ya, what I meant to add to this was that it is no wake from cashmens out to the start of the flats. So when weighing your pros and cons for each ramp consider an extra 10-15 minute ride to get out there from this ramp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

The one thing I do like about Cashmans is the oversight. If you don't mind drunk jerkoffs who jump the line and try to zoom up the middle, go to Salisbury. I launched there once and only once, my 9 year old at the time learned all about how to be slob fisherman. At least at Cashman there is someone over seeing the process and the mood seems to be better. You'll still get the same dopes who don't know how to launch. The less agravation is worth the 10 mins in the no-wake zone to me. It's supposed to be fun, my buddy was at Salisbury on Sunday and said a fist fight almost broke out over some one jumping the line, he's got a story like that everytime, it's too bad they don't plant someone out there to babysit these clowns, what kills me is they get off the water hammered and then they jump in their car and drive away. The season pass at Cashman is $75 and there's a lot more parking available.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

I agree with everything Fish Head said, but the other side of the story is; launching from Cashmans, you may have to contend with a 3 + mph current to get to the dock which is in the river, unless you are fortunate to retrieve at slack tide. I launched from Cashmans for many years, except one day my passenger was unable to stop the boat from drifting into the dock causing damage to the boat; that was the last time for Cashmans. Yes, the fenders were deployed, three of them, could have used a 4th. At that time the designated launch dock was upstream and the retrieve dock was downstream, the toll collector designates which dock is to be used for launching and retrieving.

Since I’m retired I do my fishing during the weekdays which tends to be less hectic.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Roger that, it is trick to land there. Something I have had problems with also, can't argue that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joppa Flats

Thanks guys... I think I'll use Salisbury since I am leaning on only going during weekdays and don't know if the person or persons going with me will feel comfortable helping me dock in the river. I do remember liking the ramp/dock setup at the state ramp.

Brian... Definitely want to go with you one of these days. Just say when (a little heads up) and I'll make the time. Hope you got my last couple emails about this? Sent a week or two ago. I picked up some new rods/reels and more pluggage and soft baits. I'm itching to go! My brother is home for a while, so hoping to get him down there too.

We're gonna hit Winnisquam tonight as we finished up a job early... may or may not fish tomorrow? Might start another job... blah!!!

Re: hey slipknot

Slipknot what trade are you in if you dont mind me asking??

Re: Re: hey slipknot

he's a gigolo, woah-woah-woah!

Re: Re: Re: hey slipknot

funny!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: hey slipknot

Yeah The cheapest one around northern New England LOL He's just a Giggalo and every where he goes!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Donkey Dave From up North The Backwards Frenchman I personally think he could give Deuce Bigelow a run for his money LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hey slipknot

Charlies Charters... the guys are right I'm a man*****... LOL. Talked to Adrien tonight on my way home from fishing and was wondering why he kept calling me Deuce Bigalow... now it all makes sense! I thought he was just tired of calling me Sliphook???

No, really I'm a contractor. I do mostly remodeling and small additions, but a whole frame-up now and then. Its just me and a friend right now... but I may have talked my brother into coming back to NH and working with me too??? Any bigger jobs I subcontract extra help as needed.
I enjoy it most of the time. Only problem is making sure I don't take too much time off to fish and hunt!
(By the way... don't mind ya asking one bit.)

I may try to get down to the flats next week with my brother... Monday or Tuesday??? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hey slipknot

I will be building a deck hopefully by the end of the summer its going to be 24x16 preasure treated framing with composite deck....We have not pick a contractor yet. Any interest????

Let me know if you are by sending a p.m.

Thanks!!

Charlies charters [charlie]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hey slipknot

I sent ya an email... take care.