Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Cast of Flies?

Sorry I dont know, but I have a question for you are you running the fly by itself and just trolling it or are you using a dodger.
good luck!
wayne,

Tank
Sometimes we use a tandem in front of a smaller streamer. We have had decent luck with this but over all using a single streamer seems to have a better hook up ration as sometimes the fish will grab the tadem flie and come loose but this is most prominent on lead core line. another tactic to try would be to use something similar to a lake troll behind your downrigger ball with a single fly trailing it. That method seems to work closer to the ball than a standard spoon or other hardware. Over all my catch rate is solid with a single streamer on lead or behind the downrigger ball. One thing I have also noticed this past week is that the fish have been keyed on on the small mayfly hatch that has been happenning up by Shep Browns and we had good luck running just a half color of lead with the smallest maynards I have. This goes against the textbook because the temp is approaching 73.5 degrees but it has been successful the past week. I have also noticed that when running a dodger on lead it can create some slack if the fish is fighting agressively causing the the hook to come out. Good luck.t9mb

you can tie a tippet directly to the hook bend and then another fly afew feet back, but for trolling my dad uses a 3 way swivel with 2 tippets. half way down one of the tippets he puts a small keel weight, more tippet then the fly. he has caught some salmon this way, but lots more rainbows. the keel weight keeps the flies separated

Hello All-

This is one of the most common regulation questions from a trolling standpoint, along with the legality of "cheaters" (a loose and separate "free-floating" line affixed to the main line on a downrigger, I guess the name says it all), and seems to come up every year. Per detailed explanation from Law Enforcement (NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers), a "cast" of several flies is legal but they must all be tied in a direct line. As soon as any "branching" occurs, these are your two lines in total as the law allows.

For example, the scenario described with a 3-way swivel is perfectly legal, but these are your two lines. Ditto if you use a cheater. Thus if fishing alone, for instance, you could not legally have a second line out with another branched or cheater rig, because you would have already used your two lines with the first "set up" (2 branches on 2 lines = 4 lines).

From an ethical and practical standpoint, more than two or three flies per "cast" even if legally tied in-line is going to create problems - break offs would result in fish dragging around several flies and feet of line (not conducive to the fish's future survival or at the least feeding and thus chances of becoming a future quality fish), triple or more knot fatigue/breaking points exacerbating the chances of previous, more hooks=more chances of tangles with other trolled lines, netting becomes a heroic feat as hooks not in the fish grab the net, downrigger cable, you name it, and the fish breaks free (common enough with one set of hooks), and a host of other scenarios.

Thank you for ensuring the future quality of New Hampshire's large lake fisheries, and see you on the water this weekend!

John A. Viar
Fisheries Biologist I
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Region 2 Office
PO Box 417
New Hampton NH 03256
(603)744-5470
jviar@nhfgd.org

Re: Re: A Cast of Flies?

Further clarification: in the scenario I presented, if you are fishing alone and have one line out with a dropper, cheater, or any branch, not only can you not put out another rod with a similar set up, but you could not put out another rod period since you have used your two lines with the first branched rig (putting an additional rod out even without a branch would now make for a total of 3 lines, one over legal limit)- feel free to email me if any further questions...

Re: Re: Re: A Cast of Flies?

Thanks for the Info. guys. Just something I thought about and figured I'd ask the experts.
John I understand how the law reads now. Thanks to you also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Cast of Flies?

Thanks John, That's also a question I've been wondering for a long time also I think you cleared that up very nicely Thanks for your dedication to fishing and hunting as always!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Donkey Dave From up North The Backwards Frenchman