Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam report

Just got back from 6 days at Squam, caught and lost what had to be the biggest Salmon I have ever seen in that Lake, my guess is 7 or 8 pounds (maybe more) It was a HUGE, fatter than a football, maybe 26/27 inches and I man realy FAAAAT. At any rate, my knot let loose at the swivel, ****. Caught one more about 3 pounds a few minuets later and that's all folks.
That was Sunday, the rest if the week all I got was one small 9" Salmon, I fished 7 to 8 hours every day, some days 2 lines, some days 4. It was so bad I came back Thursday night, I can have more fun working.

Told the wife "I'm buying a Bass boat, getting tired of getting skunked at least you can allways catch a Bass even when not trying". I do think I will start Bass fishing more however, at least until the Salmon turn on again, I'll give the Salmon a few hours eacxh trip and if they are still off, go Bass fishing.

Last June and July, fishing on Squam was fair to good, only one skunk. This year June was horrible and July worse, 6 days 5 skunks, I talked to every guy I saw on the Lake during the week, same story, nothing.

A few guys I have talked to, including John Viar, feel it should get better by mid-July, not suire why thet feel this way but I sure hope they are right..

I do notice the water temp is allot warmer this year compared to last year this time, tried fishing deeper, still nothing..

Good news is there are plenty of fish (and tons of bait) on the fish finder, but most of the fish are laying on the bottom (50 to 70 feet) as early as 5 and 6 AM and I'm pretty sure they are not Lakers, these we can find on the bottom in 90+ feet. We are having trouble finding many (if any) suspended fish, fish suspended at 40 to 60 feet in 80/90 feet of water ??? When they are doing this we get allot of bites fishing 10' above them.

We even tried live bait and all that did was catch a few Bass. Question: when fishing live shiners (cant get any Smelt) for Salmon, can we troll at 2 mph or do we have to get down around 1 mph, also if trolling for Lakers (with Live shiners) do we need to troll slower ??? Somebody told me it's only when using Smelt that you had to go real slow ??? Problem we had when trying to troll at 1 mph (or less) was little to none steering control when the wind kicked up pretty good, causing a few cluster-----. Fishing more than 1 or two lines we also found difficult under these conditiions, live and slow.

I'm still a Rookie at heart, still learning every time out.

John S.

Re: Squam report

Discouraging report, John. I was hoping things would have improved by now. I still plan on coming out in late August, so hopefully they'll have worked up an appetite by then.

Tight Lines,

Tom.

Re: Re: Squam report

Just in case, bring your Bass gear, LOL. But based on what I'm told, I'm pretty sure they will put the feed bag on soon.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Squam report

Now i know why ya didn't give me a call LOL Sorry to hear the fishing hasn't turned on yet. But it's nice to see that ya "DONKEYED" a fish bigger then the one i did LOL Just kidding buddy, now ya know how depressed i was when i hooked on the biggest landlocked salmon of my life LOL Take CAre God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Donkey Dave From up North The Backwards Frenchman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Squam report

I thought about calling you, but as the fishing was so bad I didn't see the need.

There are plenty of big boys in there, as soon as they turn on I'll give ya a call. We both have a Donkey to get rid of now.

John S.