Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Toronto Res. Rpt (NY) - not bad, but not Winni

Thought I'd share the results of my own tweaks on what I've learned here at the board. Still have not fished Winni this year. Soon I hope.

Fished Toronto Res (NY) this am with my buddy Matt from work. This is a small hydroelectric reservoir in southern NY. It holds browns, 'bows and maybe lakers, and walleye and a lot of sm bass.

Got on the water at 0510, lines in water by 0520--not bad for a first trip to a lake in the dark. Fished 'till 1015. 4 lines max most of the time, 2 riggers and 2 leadcore.

Caught 3 small 'bows, 12", 13" and a 13" plus fish. Also caught a 12" sm bass. Had 3 more hard releases but did not hook the fish, likely because of not having my lines tight enough on the riggers. Depths varied from well above the thermocline (16 ft) to 22 ft to 37 ft. Sonor reading looked like most fish were holding below the thermocline which ranged from 25-35 ft. Lot of fish were rising to the surface (75 deg !!) early on because of a big caddis hatch of some kind. I was not rigged for this (hardware / spoons only) and next time I'll have rods rigged for casting.

All 'bows were lean and mean, bright and colorful as if still juiced from spawning but very, very skinny. The two I took home for dinner (12" + 13") only weighed 1 lb. total!!! Probably stocked (2 yr put take) fish but I can't be sure.

All fish were caught on my own variations on the NH Guide and a modified Mooselook wobbler. I'm christening my new lures as the "New Hincer Guide" line and will post pics once I get my digital camera fixed. I'm using super glow bake-on paints and using combinations of glow yellow / orange with black and multicolor dots and with copper. I've made small attractors with Dakota blades and glow beads I rig 18" ahead of the lure and I've tried to coordinate the color / dot schems of the attractors and lures to look like a school. For the first time ever I tried the technique Popeye and Salty were describing where you rig a dodger direct to the rigger ball and secure the releases/lines just above the ball. Worked great.

The anorexic rainbow situation is a concern and is likely a forage problem. Its an old, small hydroelectric lake built in a glacial drainage and its not too well cared for. But it will have to do for now. It was a lot of fun but makes me appreciate places like Winni and Moosehead all the more.

Eric H.

Re: Toronto Res. Rpt (NY) - not bad, but not Winni

Glad to hear that you got out on the water. Let us know when you get over to Winni.

Tight lines,
Salty :o)

Re: Re: Toronto Res. Rpt (NY) - not bad, but not Winni

Will do. I was getting pretty stir crazy, so it was good to get out and shake down the new 'riggers and catch a couple snacks.

-Eric